Government Relations Associate – Defense & National Security
Velos is the recognized advocacy leader in the US national security space and intelligence market. We’re a full-service consulting and engineering services firm representing leaders across the defense, aerospace, intelligence, and related industry enterprise.
Velos is seeking to hire an Associate, Government Relations and Strategy to join our team. The Associate supports the firm’s Managing Partners, Vice President, and clients to aid execution of strategic influence and business development campaigns furthering Velos client’s objectives. The ideal Velos Associate is a dedicated team player, skilled communicator, and highly organized self-starter who is passionate about ethically and positively shaping and influencing issues facing our Velos client base. The Associate will conduct tailored legislative and regulatory research, draft advocacy materials and reports to clients, and represent client positions as appropriate. This is not an entry-level position.
Conduct tailored federal budget, policy, and legislative research
Assist strategic campaign development
Execute extensive research projects on varying markets, missions, capabilities, or issues based on client's need
Develop initial drafts of issue papers, talking points, presentations, quantitative analyses, and other client materials
Assist and support clients with scheduling and interfacing with USG entities on a regular basis;
Attend and summarize congressional hearings & industry events
Monitor & curate industry news for weekly e-newsletter
Other tasks as assigned
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong familiarity with the legislative and rulemaking processes with added emphasis on defense authorizations and appropriations
- Strong familiarity with the DoD, particularly the budget and requirements processes
- Exceptional communication skills, with heavy emphasis on written communication
- Strong attention to detail with corresponding organizational skills
- Proven ability to work on small, hard-charging teams
- Execute projects independently; driven, self-starter
- Possess a minimum of two years employed in Congress, DoD or comparable defense contractor or industry association position
- Bachelors degree in a relevant field, such as government, political science, history, or communications; Master’s degree is preferred.
- U.S. Citizen
- TS clearance preferred, but not required. Candidate may be subject to US government background investigation.
The Velos government relations team is small and dedicated to each other and the work of our clients. We are in the business of influencing decision makers to make the right decision for our clients and the nation. If you are creative, curious, smart, and solution-oriented, you should join our team.
Job posted: 2018-12-06