Government Relations Consultant
Seeking an individual contributor that monitors relevant regulatory issues in the state Departments of Insurance (DOIs) and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and collaborates with the Government Relations team and internal stakeholders to define and advocate for optimal positioning. Reporting to the AVP of Government Relations, the position will coordinate Government Relations support for national filing strategies and regulatory issue management. The consultant will closely monitor NAIC issues and inform internal stakeholders and collaborate with the Government Relations team to develop and advocate policy positions.
Advises and informs various business areas impacted by regulatory developments.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Works with individual business units to determine what regulatory changes they need to improve profitability and to be more effective.
- Works with trade associations, peer companies and other external organizations to further CNA regulatory goals and priorities.
- Provides written update reports and may make presentations to the various business and staff areas on the status of regulatory matters.
- May manage outside counsel to ensure achieving regulatory goals.
- Determines the need and develops language for advocacy communications to constituents regarding regulatory matters.
- Stays current with industry trends and developments in area of expertise.
- Tracks, participates, and reports on key developments at NAIC.
- Monitors NAIC meetings and interim calls.
- Coordinate internal stakeholder engagement regarding key regulatory developments.
- Monitors regulatory developments nationwide, identifies trends.
- Supports national filing initiatives, including tracking and reporting.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Solid knowledge of the insurance regulatory process.
2. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively present to and interact with internal and external business partners.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail.
5. Ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships with regulators, peers, and other members of management.
6. Ability to develop tactical strategies which support organizational vision and goals.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, in a related discipline, or equivalent.
2. Typically a minimum of five years’ experience in a state government relations position.
If interested, please apply to the role using this link:
Job posted: 2020-12-16