Government Relations Director (Federal)
About The Opportunity
Hey! We’re Grubhub
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
The Grubhub Corporate Affairs team is a growing, dynamic team of change makers. The team is integrated across four practices: Brand, Communications, Government Relations & Policy, and Sustainability & Impact. This position will be a part of the Government Relations function.
The Impact You Will Make
Reporting to and under the supervision of the Head of Government Relations, this important role will help lead Grubhub’s efforts around public policy advocacy and influence at the federal level. The leader will join a growing, dynamic team of change makers and be able to directly enhance and influence Grubhub’s advocacy before Congressional offices and federal agencies. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, tech and food forward, and driven by what is best for our restaurant customers and communities.
The individual will create and execute national government affairs objectives for many of Grubhub’s policy positions including but not limited to independent contractors and employee classification, price caps and antitrust matters. This role will be responsible for engaging on relevant legislation under consideration in the House of Representatives and the Senate, maintaining relationships with members of Congress and their staffs, working with outside consultants, interacting with our trade associations and identifying new strategic coalition partners.
This individual will contribute to regular policy updates to Grubhub’s executive team and other communications, attend policymaker conferences and be responsible for building long lasting and substantive relationships with key Stakeholders. The individual will also participate in industry coalitions and lead Grubhub’s internal cross functional team on relevant issues.
The leader will be an integral contributor to the success of Grubhub’s overall Corporate Affairs strategy and will work collaboratively with relevant business, public relations, and legal teams to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. You will assess and anticipate public policy matters, oversee and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives.
Grubhub’s mission is to connect hungry diners with great, local restaurants. From our start in 2004, we set out to create a marketplace for diners to order from local restaurants – a commitment that continues today. This role will manage federal government affairs, will have the opportunity to help shape state public policy that will advance Grubhub’s myriad business interests which include advocating for policies that help drive the long term strength, viability and sustainability of our restaurant partners. Issues include but are not limited to gig workers and independent contractor classification, fee caps and antitrust.
What You Bring to the Table
- BA/BS required.
- At least 10 years of relevant public policy experience and a deep understanding of the legislative and agency rulemaking process including effective lobbying strategies, and the mechanics of policy-making at the national level.
- Food industry and/or tech experience.
- Demonstrated ability to be both a substantive issue expert on matters related to Grubhub’s business and a manager of complex political relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience creating and effectively delivering factual, relevant, and easily understandable talking points and other messaging to both external audiences as well as internal stakeholders including Grubhub’s executive team.
- Experience identifying and understanding key issues pertaining to corporate operations at the national level, understanding business implications, and synthesizing information for internal and external customers, and recommending a best course of action.
- Attention to detail and thorough preparation before Congressional meetings and prompt and effective follow up.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate, federal government, and regulatory agency levels
- Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and Integrity
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-24