Government Relations/Legislative Associate
Smith Dawson & Andrews (SDA), a boutique government affairs and consulting firm specializing in transportation and infrastructure policy, is seeking a government relations professional. This position affords an opportunity to represent clients before the White House, Congress, and the federal government to help further clients’ policies and positions. Hill experience a plus.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Developing legislative strategies and providing strategic direction to achieve specific client goals;
• Conducting legislative and regulatory analysis, tracking legislation, and providing legislative recommendations to clients;
• Monitoring congressional hearings and markups and providing summaries to clients;
• Monitoring the congressional appropriations process, including drafting appropriations requests and report language that meet clients’ needs;
• Monitoring federal grant opportunities and assisting clients in garnering Congressional support for grant applications;
• Drafting legislation, amendments, and questions to be asked at congressional hearings that are relevant to client interests;
• Organizing advocacy trips to D.C. for clients, including scheduling meetings with key congressional, federal, and industry members;
• Drafting memos and letters on various topics relevant to client interests;
• Developing and maintain relationships with key congressional, federal, and industry members; and
• Working with coalitions and trade associations to build support for client goals.
• Strong legislative drafting and analysis skills;
• Familiarity with legislative procedure in both chambers of Congress (especially the appropriations process);
• Ability to build relationships and advocate effectively in a variety of settings;
• Strong verbal presentation and writing skills;
• An understanding of how to grow relationships with Members of Congress and staff;
• Sound political judgment.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package. Occasional travel expected.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2021-05-17