Government Relations Manager
This is LyondellBasell
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world’s largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” for the third consecutive year.
Roles & Responsibilities
As a Government Relations Manager at LyondellBasell you are responsible for Government Relations efforts at EU level for specific policy areas and at country level in the assigned geographical area.
Your primary focus will be the Netherlands, where the European headquarters of LyondellBasell are based and in which the company operates significant assets. Other relevant countries in the region in which the company is present are Belgium and the UK. Occasional outreach to Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Norway) may be required.
The policy topics that will be assigned to you may evolve from time to time according to business needs. Current issues of interest to LyondellBasell that require Government Relations support include Circular Economy, Energy & Climate, Environment, Sustainability, Economic incentives/subsidies and Trade. You will participate, selectively but actively, in key horizontal or sectoral business associations such as VNCI (NL), Essenscia (BE), CIA (UK) at national levels and Cefic, PlasticsEurope, Business Europe, AmCham EU at EU level and influence their positions to LyondellBasell’s benefit.
You will track, analyse and assess legislative and regulatory developments, provide political intelligence and map the relevant stakeholders and finally engage on assigned issues by developing and executing advocacy plans and outreach.
Besides all the above mentioned, you will develop position statements/key messages/presentations that translate business needs or technical and scientific data into political information that resonates with policy makers. You will develop and maintain working relationships with relevant stakeholders in national governments as well as in European Parliament, Commission, Permanent Representations, governments, trade associations etc.
This is who you are
You have excellent written and spoken communication skills, delivered with the right balance of assertiveness and diplomacy. You act and represent your company with integrity and with the highest ethical standards. You also possess good business judgement, ability to manage situationally and weigh risks/benefits, refine messages and tailor actions based upon nuanced differences in each situation’s political environment and you know how to influence and engage dialogue in a non-confrontational manner, both internally and externally.
This is what you bring
- A higher education qualification in political science, public policy, business management, economics or science (chemistry in particular). An advanced degree in business, law or public policy would be a plus
- At least five years’ experience in either government, public service, EU institutions, ideally in a Dutch environment e.g., as an assistant to a member of Parliament, or similar consultancy or business experience in a related function
- Understanding of how to leverage the value of bilateral, regional, and multilateral government relations forums and platforms to advance the strategic direction of the company
- Ability to identify and build strong working relationships with public officials and other key policy stakeholders in the region
- Experience working in an international company
- Apart from Dutch, you are fluent in English (written and spoken) as well as, ideally, a second major European language is preferred
- You are eligible to work in the EU
- Location is Brussels
Please feel free to connect with Ton Brands, Corporate recruiter ton.brands @ lyondellbasell.com for more details. Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume via the application button.
Job posted: 2020-09-18