Government Relations Manager
About Career Education Colleges and Universities
Career Education Colleges and Universities (CECU) represents postsecondary career education institutions, staff, and students. Its mission is to support the work of our members in providing access, opportunity and quality education to students seeking career, technical, or trade skills. CECU’s office is located in Arlington, VA.
More information about CECU is available at https://www.career.org/ and @CECUed.
The Government Relations Manager works within CECU’s Government Relations Department. The person reports to the Senior Vice President of Government Relations.
Serving in the Office of Government Relations, the Government Relations Manager will provide professional and administrative support to CECU’s government relations on behalf of the sector and our members engaged in the delivery of postsecondary career education. The Manager will serve as part of our Government Relations Senior team, reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Government,
Military, and Veterans Relations. The Manager’s responsibilities will include representing the sector in both the legislative and executive branches of government; conducting research directly related to public policy; assisting in the preparation of presentations and summaries of legislation and policy issues of importance to the association; tracking progress of key Federal issues; including higher education and veterans’ education; and assisting with the preparation of documents for hearings, briefings, and coalition activities.
The work includes, but is not limited to:
- Build and maintain external relationships to further the association’s reputation and continued political contacts; facilitate interactions between senior management, Congressional members and staff, as well as other external affiliates.
- Represent CECU in legislative engagement activities and political activities and events.
- Identify and track issues with potential impact on CECU member schools and work with external stakeholders.
- Research, analyze and prepare information and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of federal policy goals and reporting of the Federal
- Government Relations team to CECU leadership, where appropriate.
- Assist in the coordination of special events, meetings and other communications with Senior Management, Congressional delegations and staff as well as other external affiliates.
- Advocate for CECU members with specific administrative problems before government agencies.
- Answer incoming calls, meeting with CECU members, and policy makers in an exceptional, positive, clear manner, schedule appointments, organize staff and coalition meetings.
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest levels and protect sensitive data at all times.
- Take personal initiative to prepare drafts of correspondence and other documents required on a timely basis.
- Provide superior proof-reading expertise to members of the Government Relations and related legal teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Oversee and assure timely, accurate filings of compliance reports.
- Identify and track issues, work with key subject matter experts and external stakeholders.
- Represent the association at external events.
- Assist in the coordination of special events.
- Coordinate all Washington DC office administration.
- Maintain the Federal office budget.
- Assist in Federal PAC activity.
- 3 or more years of Federal legislative branch experience, with a working knowledge of U.S. House and U.S. Senate.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proficient computer skills, including expert-level Microsoft Office skills.
- Excellent organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including internal and external partners.
- Expert-level written and verbal communication skills.
- He/she must demonstrate a proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful team player with demonstrated ability to achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to understand and effectively research necessary/required subjects.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressure.
- Must have the ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations.
- Strong relations to one or both political party organizations in the Congress.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 – $120,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-25