Government Relations Manager
Ensure that legislators, policymakers, and staff have quick access to high quality information. Responsible for coordinating ERCOT’s relationships with state and federal governmental entities, particularly the Texas Legislature and Congress. Analyzes and monitors all legislation affecting ERCOT and the Texas electricity industry. Maintains strong and continuous relationships with key legislators and legislative staff.
- Understands and applies principles, theories and concepts related to the profession and ERCOT’s culture.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Impact is generally limited to specific assignments or projects.
- May respond to inquiries and/or provide assistance and/or guidance to lower level workers.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES
- Monitors activities at Congress and at the Texas Legislature, including committee hearings and reports
- Analyzes and monitors all legislation affecting ERCOT and the Texas electricity industry
- Maintains strong and continuous relationships with key legislators and legislative staff
- Coordinates and schedules contacts between ERCOT management and legislators and their staffs
- Coordinates development of quality documents and presentations (testimony, white papers, reports, etc.) for the Legislature, and occasionally for Congress
- Maintains contacts and monitors activities at relevant state agencies as appropriate
- Attends legislative hearings as needed
- Supports the Legal Department as needed, particularly for policy and impact analysis
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with other ERCOT departments
- Coordinates internal communications regarding governmental affairs and issues
- Participate regularly in meetings and develop and maintain relationships with the ISO/RTO council as part of the IRC.
- Track and follow major policy discussions in the market participant process in order to inform the Legislature.
- Requires minimum 5 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements
- Requires minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a legislative office or in government relations
- Bachelor’s Degree : Economics, Political Science, Journalism, Communication or related field (Required)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to 24 million Texas customers – representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 46,500 miles of transmission lines and 550 generating units. ERCOT also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 7 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. ERCOT’s members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities (transmission and distribution providers,) and municipal-owned electric utilities.
ERCOT offers an excellent benefits package, which includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, long/short-term disability insurance, long-term care insurance, Section 125 Flexible Spending Account, and a Retirement Savings Plan. For more information, ERCOT’s Benefits Summary is located on our website in the careers section.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-25