Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Relations Manager
NEC Corporation is an Information and Communications Technology (ICT) leader that has been in operation for nearly 120 years. NEC is committed to bringing together and integrating its technology and expertise to create the ICT-enabled society of tomorrow. With a global team of 100,000, and 64,000+ technology patents, NEC is in the business of providing solutions that focus on safety, security, operational efficiency – enabling people to live brighter, more enriched lives. We call this orchestrating a brighter world.
The Government Relations Manager will be a key member of the NEC Corporation of America Government Relations and Public Policy office, helping develop and execute advocacy strategies before government agencies on policy topics involving advanced and emerging technology and their impact on civil and human rights, the economy, and national security. The Government Relations Manager will represent NEC before elected officials and staff in federal, state, and local legislative bodies as well as executive agency leaders and staff. The policy topics of focus encompass many aspects of NEC’s broad policy areas to include responsible use of biometrics, artificial intelligence, digital ID, 5G and next generation telecommunications, undersea cable, and space technologies, as well as international trade and foreign policy topics around supply chain security, international development finance, and U.S. international technology and telecommunications policies. In concert with global public policy development, the Government Relations Manager will have the opportunity to help develop U.S. policy positions that simultaneously promote civil and human rights, security, economic efficiency, and technological innovation and to advance these priorities utilizing external consultants; industry associations; multi-stakeholder initiatives with academics, civil society groups, and think tanks; and other forums.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Represent NEC before elected officials and staff in federal, state, and local legislative bodies as well as with executive agency leaders and staff.
- Represent NEC in industry associations, coalitions, think tank discussions, and other forums to advance company priorities.
- Support the Government Relations and Public Policy team in developing advocacy and communication strategies to advance positions that promote social value creation and NEC interests before federal, state, and local governments.
- Support the Government Relations and Public Policy team in developing NEC policy positions, within the United States and synchronized globally, on matters related to responsible use of biometrics, digital ID, artificial intelligence, 5G and next generation telecommunications, and undersea cable technologies;, space policy;, and supply chain security.
- Draft policy papers, legislative proposals, testimony, agency comments, and briefs and memoranda to support NEC’s government relations efforts and internal policy development.
- Assist in the management of external consultants and association memberships as well as compliance with disclosure requirements at the federal and state levels.
- Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s degree, 5+ years of professional experience working on legislative matters in a Congressional office, an Executive Agency, or related experience in the private sector.
- Experience working on issues directly related to emerging technologies or telecommunications.
- Experience working with stakeholders, public interest groups, and policymakers to advocate for these issues.
- Education and Experience Preferred: Advanced degree in public policy, political science, law, or related topics.
- Familiarity with policy matters related to the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense, and federal research and development agencies.
- Knowledge of U.S. federal contracting and acquisition practices.
- Experience working on issues in the U.S. Congress directly related to artificial intelligence and/or 5G wireless networks.
- Experience working on policy issues at the intersection of technology and civil/human rights.
ABOUT NEC CORPORATION OF AMERICA
Headquartered in Irving, Texas, NEC is a leading provider of innovative IT, biometrics, network, and communications products and solutions for service carriers and Fortune 1000 and SMB businesses across multiple vertical industries, including healthcare, government, education, and hospitality. NEC delivers one of the industry’s broadest portfolios of technology solutions and professional services, including unified communications, wireless, voice and data, managed services, server and storage infrastructure, optical network systems, microwave radio communications, and biometric security. NEC is a wholly owned subsidiary of NEC Corporation, a global technology leader with a presence in over 44 countries and more than $28 billion in revenue. For more information, please visit www.necam.com.
NEC Corporation of America and its subsidiaries is committed to the maximum utilization of all human resources and the goal of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, genetic characteristics, height, weight, arrest record pertaining to misdemeanors or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
EOE-Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-19