Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Relations Manager
For over 50 years, AeroVironment has been a leader in advanced technologies and diverse innovations that have redefined how the world drives, flies, and connects.
If you thrive on a culture of relentless problem-solving and invention, and want to work for a global front-runner where you tackle real-world challenges, then AeroVironment is the place for you.
Come join our group of innovative thinkers and discover how collaborative efforts produce extraordinary products that touch lives around the world. You can be a part of the team that developed these firsts: a controlled human-powered aircraft, the modern consumer electric car, a tiny hummingbird-like drone and a helicopter that flew on Mars. We also set flight records in near-space with our solar-powered aircraft and we re-shaped the battlefield with portable, hand-held, tactical drones and loitering munitions. We have cemented our reputation around the world and in record books as unrivaled technological pioneers, including seven innovative vehicles in the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
While engineering for the future is what we do, we are ever-mindful of our strong commitment to purpose — to secure lives and advance sustainability through transformative innovation. The products and solutions we provide our customers help to save lives and contribute to a more sustainable environment.
Join us to help push beyond the realm of the possible with such future-defining technologies as robotics, sensors, software analytics and connectivity to generate ever-more meaningful actionable intelligence for our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
The Government Relations Manager will provide support to the Government Affairs organization for matters that relate to Federal Government policies and funding, Actions include researching and analyzing legislation and regulations to help AeroVironment influence the Federal resource allocation process. Coordinate customer advocacy and lobby actions. Engage with legislators and staff implementing policy and authorizing and appropriating federal funds. The Government Relations Manager is the lead information source for congressional activities, providing guidance and recommendations to AeroVironment senior leaders.
- Coordinates and supports AeroVironment’s U.S. Government and International customer interaction in Washington D.C.
- Monitors and assures AeroVironment awareness of annual U.S. Government funding requests and Department of Defense reprogramming requests
- Provides annual U.S. Government Program and Budget Justification documents to AeroVironment leadership and Business Development team
- Monitors and provides AeroVironment with Congressional Mark Up results of annual U.S. Government Budget Requests; assures U.S. Government-funded AeroVironment programs are fully funded by the congress
- Analyzes pending and/or proposed legislation/regulations (including amendments) by identifying and tracking proposals and routing information to AeroVironment subject matter experts for review
- Coordinates and supports AeroVironment leadership visits to Washington DC
- Manages AeroVironment Political Action Committee to assure compliance
- Maintains and cultivates personal relationships with congressional staff
- Maintains network to communicate with internal and external stakeholders and entities (e.g., government organizations, customers, coalitions, business associations)
- Coordinates visits by elected officials and staff to AeroVironment
- Represents company at selected events
- Drafts reports and documentation (e.g., employee labor reports, expense reports, local/state/Federal reporting requirements)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline is required or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Minimum 8 – 12 years’ relevant experience
- Strong proficiency using Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Experience working with and partnering with cross-functional teams on projects and initiatives
- Basic knowledge of aerial loitering munitions, small and medium UAS, and UGV preferred
- Advanced degree preferred
- Experience interacting with senior business leaders and government customers
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Congressional, Regulatory or Administration office
- Experience working on grassroots advocacy programs on behalf of industry or specific programs and/or legislation
- Experience working within a fast-paced team environment, which required strong communication skills to frequently interact with leadership or internal and external customer representatives
- Demonstrates strong verbal, writing, and computer skills
- Exhibits high level of organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Possesses strong decision-making skills and attention to detail
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
- Displays strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives; delivers message to Garcia (“A Message to Garcia,” Elbert Hubbard’s essay on initiative, first publication 1899)
- Takes ownership and responsibility for current and past work products
- Is committed to learning from mistakes and driven to improve and enhance performance of oneself, others, and the company
- Focuses on teamwork and puts the success of the team above one’s own interests
- Ability to work in an office environment (Constant)
- Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Frequent)
COVID Vaccine Statement
AeroVironment is a U.S. government contractor, and is therefore subject to the September 9, 2021 Presidential Executive Order requiring COVID-19 vaccines for federal contractors. Consistent with AeroVironment’s commitment to health, safety, and national security, all U.S.-based AeroVironment employees must be fully vaccinated from COVID-19; this means that all new hires located in the United States must provide proof of being fully vaccinated from COVID-19 before their start date. At this time, the vaccination requirement applies only to U.S.-based employees; non-U.S. locations will have their own vaccination policies in accordance with applicable law of the non-U.S. jurisdiction.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
U.S. Citizenship required
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-13