Government Relations Manager – AL, GA, TN
The Government Relations Manager develops and manages state and local government relations within Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee. The incumbent advocates on behalf of Publix before state and local legislative and regulatory bodies; coordinates with trade and business associations in those states, and develops and maintains a grassroots network among Publix associates. The Government Relations Manager develops and maintains various industry and third party relationships; including counterparts within and outside the industry, including service on association boards and/or government relations committees. The Government Relations Manager reports directly to the Director of Government Relations.
Additional responsibilities include:
- monitors, identifies, and tracks legislative and regulatory activities and determines if legislation or action has an impact on Publix in order to determine lobbying strategy
- researches information on elected officials and proposed legislation and ordinances (i.e., research in order to discover proposed rules, proposed legislation, etc.) that impact Publix and/or the industry
- prepares budgets for government relations activities and works with the VP of Public Affairs to ensure budget compliance is met
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Communications, Journalism or History or equivalent experience
- three (3) or more years of lobbying/legislative experience working in Alabama, Georgia, and/or Tennessee
- detailed knowledge of state political processes in the assigned geographic area including legislative procedures and knowledge of, and relationships with, key legislators and regulators
- the ability to provide concise written and verbal updates to Publix leadership, legislators, lobbyists, government officials, PAC members, Publix associates, trade associations, etc.
- the ability to analyze legislation and election and polling results and relay that information within the company and to PAC membership
- organizational skills, including the ability to plan events. This includes special event planning for legislative tours/receptions and congressional staff events
- time management skills, including the ability to produce weekly reports in a timely manner
- must demonstrate the ability to work independently without much supervision
- intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint
- ability to travel extensively by car, including the ability to work a very flexible schedule with some nights and weekends out of the office, and away from home.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Political Science or Juris Doctor
- four (4) or more years of lobbying/legislative experience working in Alabama, Georgia, and/or Tennessee
- knowledge of campaign finance processes specifically state contribution limits and reporting requirements
- knowledge of Publix corporate structure, including whom to contact with certain requests.
Hours of Work
Minimum 45 hours per week.
Frequency of Pay
Minimum Base Pay
Maximum Base Pay
Potential Annual Pay with Bonus
Year End Bonus
As a year-end bonus to associates, Publix issues one month’s extra pay (pro-rated in the first year) each year if associate remains employed through issue date of the bonus check that year. This is calculated as a 13th month of pay in the Potential Annual Pay with Bonus line above.
- Employee stock ownership plan that contributes Publix stock to associates each year at no cost
- An opportunity to purchase additional shares of our privately-held stock
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Group health plan (with prescription benefits)
- Group dental plan
- Group vision plan
- Sick pay
- Long-term disability insurance
- Company-paid life insurance (with accidental death & dismemberment benefits)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vacation pay
- Free hot lunches (buffet-style) at facilities with a cafeteria
- Paycheck direct deposit
- Credit union
- Access to over 50 discount offers including discounts on computer, vehicle and wireless purchases
- 6 paid holidays (associates can exchange the following holidays with their manager’s approval: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day).
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-11-06