At Scotts Miracle-Gro we think people are like plants….in the right place you will grow and flourish. Are you an advocate of making the world a more beautiful place by inspiring others, championing new ideas and being intellectually curious? Are you ready to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty? If so, then we want you as part of our Scotts Miracle-Gro family…the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden care products!
To help us support and expand our lawn and garden business, we are looking for a Government Relations Manager – East Region to help us build relationships with elected and appointed officials, advocate for our company and our issues and look for innovative ways to help support our business objectives.
This individual would be the Primary point of contact for State and Local Governments for the area East of the Mississippi River. This position would work closely with the Manager, Government Relations – West Region and would report to the Vice President of Corporate Affairs. This associate can work out of any location in the east region of the United States, but would be required to travel often as part of his or her responsibilities.
In this role you will:
- Partner with company’s business, regulatory, legal teams, among other key internal customers, to understand and advise on the corporation’s key business strategies as they relate to the legislative arena.
- Monitor and inform company leadership and internal customers of key state and local political and policy trends and legislative activity that could impact the business.
- Determine the need for, and complete the preparation of, advocacy materials for pressing legislative challenges or opportunities (ex: talking points, letters of support, testimony, etc.)
- Advise and support the Scotts PAC through solicitation, education and recommendations about candidate and campaign support.
- Oversee state contract lobbyists in respective area of the country and interact with important state trade associations (as needed) and other external partners (such as environmental NGOs).
- To cover such a wide geographical area, the position would likely travel approximately 50% of the time.
- Possess strong relationships with elected and appointed officials within this Work for our company is primarily focused on the following eastern states: New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland and Florida.
- Dedicated to develop and maintain new relationships, as needed, to complete the job.
The perfect person will have:
- Bachelor Degree, preferred in Political Science or a related field.
- At least 10 years experience in advocacy/lobbying field, working multiple jurisdictions and with some aspect of public service during his or her career.
- Experience with quickly synthesize and summarize legislative activity for internal stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Able to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and individual initiative.
- Experience with regulated industries is preferred, but not required.
What we do for our associates (just to list a few cool ones):
- Offer extremely competitive benefits including: Health, Dental and Vision coverage with wellness incentive program.!
- Unbelievable 401K match and discounted stock purchasing program.
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion includes four employee resource groups: Scotts Women’s Network, Scotts Black Employee Network, Scotts Veterans Network and Scotts Young Professionals.
- Generous vacation day policy.
COME GROW WITH US, WHERE THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER!
Not interested in this role? Check out our other career opportunities and learn more about what it’s like to work at Scotts MiracleGro by accessing our Talent Network: SMG Talent Network
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (NYSE: SMG) is the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products, with a full range of products for professional horticulture as well. Scotts Miracle-Gro has helped to grow the nearly $7 billion global consumer lawn and garden market through product innovation, industry-leading advertising efforts and its trusted brands.
The brands and products within our portfolio include: Scotts, Miracle-Gro, TomCat, Ortho, RoundUp, Bonnie Plants, Osmocote, Earthgro and Fafard.
Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Scotts Miracle-Gro company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Scotts Miracle-Gro company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.
Please use the SMG Jobs website linked here: https://
Job Posted: September 1, 2017