Government Relations and Policy Specialist
RIHousing – Government Relations and Policy Specialist
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for providing staff support to the Government Relations and Policy Division. Specifically, the position assists in the development and implementation of Rhode Island Housing’s legislative agenda, supports legislative and policy research functions of the division, assists in meeting state required review and reporting requirements, and completes special projects as needed.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Analyze and track state and federal legislation impacting Rhode Island Housing.
- Research and provide recommendations on housing related issues as needed in response to inquiries from policy makers or to further Rhode Island Housing’s legislative and policy priorities.
- Develop testimony and other deliverables to communicate Rhode Island Housing’s priorities to policy makers and elected officials
- Represent Rhode Island Housing in meetings with policy makers, elected officials and business and community partners, and in testimony to the General Assembly.
- Produce state required reports, such as annual reports on Letters of Eligibility, the Neighborhood Opportunity Program and the Low and Moderate Income Housing chart.
- Review and provide feedback on local housing plans.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position supports the Director in achieving Rhode Island Housing’s state and federal legislative priorities. The incumbent is responsible for tracking and evaluating federal and state legislation relevant to Rhode Island Housing. The position researches issue areas, developing policy and legislative recommendations to further the Agency’s mission. The incumbent also develops testimony and other pieces designed to communicate Rhode Island Housing’s priorities effectively to federal, state and local policy leaders and elected officials. In carrying out these responsibilities the incumbent may represent Rhode Island Housing in engagement with elected officials, policy makers and community partners. Position also responsible for producing various state required reports.
This position requires interest in the legislative process and policy development, strong communication skills, diplomacy and ability to collaborate with others. Familiarity with Rhode Island’s legislative process or housing issues a plus.
What you’ll need to succeed:
Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, public administration or related field. Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong analytical, negotiation, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build, and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation. RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island’s housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-18