Government Relations & Public Policy Manager
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm seeks an experienced government affairs and public policy professional to help further our mission of delivering honest financial products that improve lives.
This position would report to the Senior Vice President of Government Relations, Public Policy, & Social Impact and help to lead Affirm’s government relationship management, political affairs, and public policy advocacy with federal and state governmental agencies and other stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will research and draft emerging technology and consumer lending policy issues including: monitoring and summarizing congressional testimony hearings on technology, financial services, small dollar lending, and other issues. Serve as a resource to allies and other non-D.C. based groups in building advocacy strategy and relationships with policymakers. Convene and/or work in coalition with various stakeholder groups to develop priorities and strategies to implement Affirm policy priorities
This role will also partner closely with cross-functional departments to ensure that our external affairs work for the company is cohesive, holistic, and aligned with the strategic and operational needs of the business as well as work closely with existing Government Relations, Public Policy, & Social Impact team to deliver on key initiatives
- Develop expertise on Affirm policy issues, and participate in coalition working groups to develop and execute strategies to achieve Affirm’s Government Relations, Policy and Merchant Diversity initiative priorities.
- Monitor state and federal legislative policy developments.
- Study proposed state and federal legislation and regulations to determine the possible effect on consumers, particularly low and moderate income consumers and Affirm’s business strategy.
- Support Policy team in developing policy recommendations.
- Build relationships with other organizations, trade groups and companies with an interest in lending policy and financial inclusion.
- Have prior experience with Political Action Committee work.
Credentials, Experience and Skills:
- J.D. or Masters in Public Policy / Administration or commensurate degree preferred
- A minimum of 3-5 years legislative and policy experience.
- Direct experience in government or in nongovernmental organizations working to influence policy.
- Experience and skill at building and managing relationships with internal and external partners and encouraging collaboration.
- Strong commitment to Affirm’s mission of providing honest financial products to improve people’s lives.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, handle multiple priorities, tasks, demands and time- sensitive projects
- Excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills.
- An ability to travel up to 50% of time, including out-of-state travel, once public health conditions are permitted, is preferred.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-22