Government Relations Senior Advisor
Southern California Edison
ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Local Public Affairs
Local Public Affairs (LPA) is part of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) Government Affairs Organizational Unit. LPA is tasked with earning the active support of government and community leaders to achieve SCE’s vision of a clean energy future.
This position will be a Senior Advisor, Government Relations in the Government Relations group of Southern California Edison (SCE)’s Local Public Affairs department. This position reports to a Principal Manager of Government Relations. It provides leadership and strategic direction to project teams which are comprised of various subject matter experts such as Government Relations Managers, Public Affairs Managers, Social Media Strategists, Communications Specialists, and Analysts. This position is the primary liaison with internal Organizational Units (OU), (e.g. Transmission & Distribution, Customer Service) in working to understand company needs, develop strategies, and resolve issues. This role also communicates concerns/issues/successes with upper management within Local Public Affairs and throughout the enterprise, as appropriate.
The Senior Advisor, Government Relations will set strategic course of action to programs/projects initiatives, provide counsel on program and project implementation, and identify risks in project plan implementation and makes decisions relative to mitigation and alternative courses of action. Also, responsible for planning and forecasting budgets and resources
Responsibilities to include:
- Leads engagements with OU partners and represent Local Public Affairs in the development and delivery of public affairs strategies and tactics to advance major issues, programs and projects; develops subject matter expertise on key issues affecting the company within the scope of public affairs.
- Develops strategic outreach plans and overall project plans relative to key issues, initiatives and projects; manages program and project timelines via scope, scale and budget, tracks milestone deliverables and mitigates risk accordingly; coordinates resourcing between multiple programs to ensure all deadlines are met; makes presentations to SCE managers and leaders on progress and outcomes related to projects managed
- Provides matrixed leadership to project teams and reviews their work product; manages, motivates and mentors team and looks for opportunities to continuously improve team capabilities by looking externally at public affairs best practices and tools; plans and forecasts resource needs based on workload capacity.
- Develops and leads implementation of overall public communications/engagement strategy (scope, schedule, and budget) to achieve project objectives; oversees the development of communication materials and content (e.g. fact sheets, talking points, presentations, FAQs), and coordinates external collateral communication material with Corporate Communications.
- Performs after-action reviews and post-project evaluations and assessments on issues and projects that have been undertaken by Local Public Affairs and other SCE departments, identifying successful and unsuccessful approaches, strategies and tactics and sharing those with the Department as part of continuous improvement efforts.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience in public affairs, government relations, communications, political campaign development and/or a related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Business or related field
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, Business, or related field
- Experience leading matrixed teams.
- Experience developing plans and forecasting budgets and resources.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment; critical thinking is imperative in connecting the dots from a micro and macro level given touch points and implications of programs and projects managed.
- Problem solver; self-starter; high degree of creativity to find new ways to reach and communicate to customers and stakeholders.
- Project Management experience.
- Proven understanding of how to use social media tools to effectively listen, communicate, and build relationships.
- Excellent written, oral communication, research, editing and client interaction skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills with high level of initiative and ability to effectively interface, collaborate, and partner with stakeholders, senior management, clients and team members to help drive solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Visio.
- Ability to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Must demonstrate the ability to integrate work across relevant areas, develop the business and services to enhance customer satisfaction and productivity, manage risks appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Must demonstrate effective decision making, results delivery, team building, and the ability to stay current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Must demonstrate strong ethics, interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Relocation may apply to this position.
- Writing sample and writing assessment may be required.
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-19