Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Relations Specialist
The Government Relations Specialist will support the Director of Government Relations and the Government Relations Manager to advance the Amputee Coalition’s federal, state, and grassroots initiatives to educate policymakers and activists on issues affecting the limb loss and limb difference community.
The Specialist is responsible for supporting the Government Relations department to execute its grasstops and grassroots strategies; support the Certified Lead Advocate Program; support a national discussion on limb loss and limb difference issues with legislators and policymakers; communicate the legislative and regulatory goals of the Amputee Coalition; provide project management and logistical support to accomplish goals; and conduct policy and issue research. This position will report to the Government Relations Manager.
• Provides logistical support to the Government Relations department to execute grasstops engagement with legislators and policymakers as well as grassroots engagement with advocates across the country.
• Drafts, edits, and updates advocacy materials, including fact sheets, website content, briefing memos, action alerts, and more.
• Implements outreach strategies to build and enhance grassroots engagement.
• Sets up meetings with federal offices and key stakeholders for the Director of Government Relations, CEO, Chief Policy and Programs Officer, Board members, and
• 3+ years of relevant experience in working government relations, Capitol Hill, political campaigns, or grassroots organizing. Experience in health-related policy preferred.
• Exceptional project management skills with the ability to navigate logistics, solve problems, ask the right questions, and identify gaps in knowledge.
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, or related field or appropriate relevant experience preferred.
• Excellent oral, written, teamwork, interpersonal, and administrative skills.
• Strong work ethic and strong desire to produce an exceptional product.
• Clear understanding of federal and state legislative processes.
• Experience utilizing online tools for databases and online meetings.
• Ability to build relationships with legislative offices and engage volunteers.
• Ability to effectively present policy issues to groups of consumers, professionals, and policy/decision makers, as needed.
• Ability to solve problems, exercise judgment, and work with minimal direction.
• Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and displaying information.
• Effective time management, administrative, and organizational skills.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Amputee Coalition.
• Location for this position will be Washington, DC.
• No relocation reimbursement.
• Preference will be given to a person with limb loss or limb difference with equivalent qualifications and experience.
• May require overnight travel up to 10 trips per year.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-29