Government Relations Specialist
As a Government Relations Specialist you’ll serve as liaison between Government Relations and key policymaking agencies and ministries in capital cities of Latin American markets. Maintaining and developing relationships with ministries involved in financial services issues, including ministries of finance, foreign affairs and labor as well as government central banks.
How you will spend your time:
- Assist with coordination of public policy advocacy efforts in Latin America, with particular focus on Chile and Mexico
- Serve as liaison with Washington embassies of current and prospective Latin American markets, fostering relationships with diplomats in residence, attending briefings and events
- Develop deep familiarity with policy developments in Latin American markets regarding pension and financial services issues and trends, to include: pension reform, ESG investment policy, labor market flexibility, digital finance and fintech regulation, e-commerce and data privacy, and policies regarding foreign investment in the financial sector that would influence Principal’s ability to expand market presence and capabilities
- Build relationships with Washington-based international organizations regarding Latin American economic and financial policy, to include the Inter American Development Bank, The World Bank, IMF and the Organization of American States, liaising with expert and extended diplomatic community on salient issues for Principal in Latin America
- Build network of Latin American experts at DC-based think tanks and business organizations that contribute to public policy debates in Latin America and in the context of US relations with the region. Such organizations would include but not be limited to: The Council of the Americas, Center for Strategic and International Studies, the Wilson Center, Brookings Institution, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Inter-American Dialogue
- Develop issue expertise on economic integration in Latin America and between Latin America and the United States with respect to financial services and financial markets, to specifically include familiarity with the Pacific Alliance, MERCOSUR, USMCA and US-Brazil Protocol Agreement on Trade and Economic Cooperation
- Requires bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 8+ years work experience with at least 5 years of public affairs experience
- Must be self-motivated
- Requires the ability to create and manage budgets, create and implement information systems, work with personal computers, and legal/business databases
- Must have strong organizational skills and ability to manage projects, people, and fundamental operations of a department
- Requires knowledge of issues relating to insurance and financial services products, superior communication skills, and strong ability to work effectively with others
- Ability to work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders at corporate headquarters, trade associations, Washington, DC and other parties as required
- Ability to engage and explain company interests and issues in Spanish required.
At this time, we’re not considering candidates that need any type of immigration sponsorship now or in the future or those needing work authorization for this role. (This includes, but is not limited to students on F1-OPT, F1-CPT, J-1, etc.)
Investment Code of Ethics
For Principal Global Investors positions, you’ll need to follow an Investment Code of Ethics related to personal and business conduct as well as personal trading activities for you and members of your household. These same requirements may also apply to other positions across the organization.
While our expertise spans the globe, we’re bound by one common purpose: to foster a world where financial security is accessible to all. And our success depends on the unique experiences, backgrounds, and talents of our employees – individually and all of us together. Explore our core values, benefits and why we’re an exceptional place to grow your career.
Principal is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-08