Government Relations and Stakeholder Engagement Manager
Division/Department: Council/Practice Team
Position title: Government Relations and Stakeholder Engagement Manager
Incumbent: Existing Position
Position – Exempt/Non-Exempt: Exempt
Establish Council as the leading professional organization in thinking and training on the practice of government relations and stakeholder engagement (effective interaction with NGOs, think tanks, academic institutions, community and business organizations and other constituencies). Research, design, execute and evaluate programs to educate young, emerging and seasoned professionals on:
- State and local government relations fundamentals and emerging trends; and
- Relevant thought leadership and trends from outside field (eg: corporate leadership and/or management best practices that would apply to government relations).
Incumbent will primarily focus on state and local government relations but must understand current thinking in federal.
- Research, design, execute, grow and evaluate existing in-person and online programs, including an annual national conference on state and local government relations. Develop and implement new programs, both in Washington, DC and the states, for government relations professionals. Work with Marketing team members to market events.
- Manage budgets and set goals for assigned programs. Grow revenue annually.
- Establish, maintain, grow and assess network of leading state and local government relations professionals and connections from trade associations, professional organizations, industry groups, think tanks and other relevant groups, to draw on for subject matter expertise, speak at events, write thought leadership pieces on trends in field and expand the Council’s connections in the states.
- Keep in regular contact with Council members, networking via meetings, coffees and lunches and making presentations; collect sample materials and case studies from members. Work with Public Affairs Associate to develop, sustain and grow dedicated networking groups associated with practice.
- Write tip sheets, newsletter articles and web materials that provide members with best practices on state government relations; conceive of and execute research projects on government relations best practices, strategies, trends and technology as standalone project or in conjunction with members, the Foundation for Public Affairs or partner groups.
- Serve as Council’s in-house expert on policies that would impact government relations, educating staff and Members of pending legislative, regulatory, executive and/or legal actions, and their implications.
- Represent the Council at key industry events in the states and Washington, DC, before, during and after business hours.
- Continually grow personal understanding of government relations best practices, strategies, trends and technologies. Keep current on trends in profession.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Results driven self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit, creativity, enthusiasm and strong problem-solving skills
- Interest in defining the future of the profession and coaching others to do the same
- Excellent communication skills as both a public speaker (prepared and extemporaneous) and writer with solid editing skills
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, balance many projects at one time and meet deadlines and objectives
- Ability to be successful in a work environment that is team-oriented, customer-focused and non-partisan; also must be comfortable in an environment that encourages open dialogue in both staff and member communications
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external individuals and groups
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and leadership, often without complete information
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Minimum three years direct government relations experience with proven results of lobbying and advocacy efforts; familiarity with corporate and/or association public affairs a plus
- Understanding of policy-making and regulatory processes at local, state and federal level
- Established network of current government and stakeholder relations professionals, including trade associations and non-profit organizations
- Published writing (either on the field or a specific policy issue, eg: OpEd on taxes)
- Experience working successfully with senior-level executives and audiences
- Program management and event planning/consulting experience
- Ability to travel 15 percent of the time
Please submit a well-written cover letter that speaks to your ideas and interest, as well as your resume and one writing sample to email@example.com. For additional questions, please contact Chris Bender at firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #