Governmental Affairs & Advocacy Officer
About the job
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
For over 40 years, the Chinese American Service League’s (CASL) comprehensive programs have connected families and individuals in the Chicago Chinese community and beyond with the vital support they need: providing an educational and cultural foundation for our children, ensuring our seniors live full and independent lives with dignity, enhancing education and training for tomorrow’s workforce, putting immigrants on the pathway to citizenship, and securing our community’s housing and financial well-being.
Working within and at the direction of CASL’s Chief Operating Officer and in coordination with CASL’s Center for Social Impact, the Governmental Affairs & Advocacy Officer will build and execute CASL’s public policy initiatives and projects and serve as the primary liaison for community advocacy in an effort to address disparities in the AAPI communities and improve lives for all.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to be considered for this position, you MUST apply on our website at the below link:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides guidance and direction to CASL’s Policy Activities
• Oversees the planning, development, coordination, and implementation of CASL’s overall public policy and advocacy agenda, assuring that CASL’s mission, priorities and interests are promoted.
• Analyzes proposed legislation and policy changes and develops policy recommendations to leadership.
• Works collaboratively with CASL staff, subject matter experts and stakeholders to coordinate policy and advocacy action to resolve identified barriers and challenges.
• Monitors, tracks, and prepares informational testimony before committees and/or public hearings consistent with CASL’s mission and values.
• Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with policymakers and governmental agencies.
• Participates in coalitions with other advocacy groups and businesses to promote CASL’s mission, priorities and interests.
• Drafts and submits all policy comments at the city, state and federal level on behalf of CASL leadership.
2. Actively and regularly engages advocacy stakeholders on state and national policy matters to constructively impact the policymaking process.
3. Staffs and supports the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer and Board in regards to governmental and policy materials and meetings including policy briefs, meeting agendas, scheduling visits and itineraries with officials.
4. Assist with Federal grant writing as requested by the Chief Operating Officer.
5. Other duties, as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Public Policy or in a similar field from an accredited college or university, preferred.
• At least two years of relevant work experience in government or public policy.
• Experience in policy development and analysis required.
• Experience working with Federal, State, City and County branch policy-makers, elected officials and staff.
• Experience in coalition-building and working in a team environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to assess problems, determine solutions and make decisions within a timely manner.
• Must be self-driven and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to align goals with the strategic goals of the organization, as well as understand external impacts on internal strategy.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Occasionally lift or move objects weighting about 20 pounds.
Environment and Scheduling:
• Work is performed during standard business hours, Monday through Friday.
• Must be flexible and available to work additional hours when necessary.
• Some travel to Springfield IL and Washington DC when necessary.
CASL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ethnic or national origin, or any other status protected by State and Federal Law.
Job posted: 2021-04-10