Governmental Affairs Manager – LA City / County #20-56749
Join SoCalGas today and share our vision of becoming the cleanest natural gas utility in North America. Headquartered in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, we deliver affordable and increasingly renewable energy to 22 million customers across central and Southern California.
SoCalGas is seeking a Governmental Affairs Manager for Los Angeles City & County. Responsible for evaluating Los Angeles City/County policies affecting SoCalGas; and developing public policies that may positively impact SoCalGas. Provides policy guidance to operating units teams within SoCalGas, where applicable. Develops and manages outreach strategies that maintain and leverage key city and county relationships, identifies opportunities, and gains access for cooperation among key appointed and elected offices in the region; as well as key influential community and business leaders. Develops and promotes local community relations in the region. Mitigates operational costs and avoids project delays. Leverage internal resources to effectively implement strategies driving company priorities and initiatives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops outreach and political strategies to resolve issues and advance company initiatives.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with governmental officials, community leaders and key policymakers in the City and County of Los Angeles.
- Provides work direction to Public Affairs Managers, as needed to implement strategies with regards to all of the relationships with the City of Los Angeles.
- Develop and maintain a community profile, and identify significant community and political trends; review and analyze proposed regulatory, administrative and legislative initiatives and their effects on the Company.
- Analyzes local ordinances and recommends and implements strategies to ensure Company and ratepayer interests are not jeopardized.
- Monitor local/regional governmental meetings, ordinances and initiatives; identify key issues, trends or areas of interest that the Company should address, and coordinate the Company’s response to such issues.
- Assist in the negotiation and obtaining of approvals from local and regional bodies for planned Company projects.
- Provides Company information and makes presentations before local/regional government bodies on behalf of the Company.
- Assist in the resolution of constituents concerns related to company operations.
- Keep city and county official informed and educated regarding company activity city and county residents and businesses.
- Keep company operating units informed of city and county regulation which impact company operations and/or required compliance.
- Provide liaison with local offices of state and federal legislative representatives; keep such representatives informed of the Company’s position on proposed legislation.
- Solicit support from other utilities, firms, agencies and associations on local or regional issues and matters of mutual concern.
- Compile and develop data pertaining to local and regional legislative, regulatory or administrative matters and ensure currency and availability of same.
- Builds and supports community, business and economic development coalitions, providing information about Gas Company services and programs.
- Acquires leadership positions in influential community and business organizations, which provide company presence through strategic alliances with thought leaders.
- Builds and supports business, community and economic development coalitions, providing information about Gas Company programs and services.
- Develops and implement public communications plans at the local level that supports distribution, transmission and storage operations, expediting operation activities and addressing environmental, regulatory, and governmental issues.
- As needed, serves as spokesperson during operational incidents and emergency response situations; serves as Communications Manager at company GEC’s and as external liaisons at company’s LA EOC and as Utility Representative at LA City and County EOC’s.
- Makes decision within clearly prescribed operational limits and provides managerial level counsel and advice, making recommendations as to the course of action to be followed and regularly participating with team members and executives in the final decision-making process.
- This position has multiple and varied demands, including decision-making responsibility as a public trustee, and financial and operational impact of issues affecting the Company.
- Position may have week-long emergency response on-call responsibility and be involved in field support to emergency response teams during operating incidents.
NOTE: This position will be filled at the appropriate level (Governmental Affairs Manager vs. Sr. Governmental Affairs Manager) based on the experience of the selected candidate, final scope of job responsibilities, and job requirements.
Required Education, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or related work experience in Public Relations, Political Science, or Public Administration is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Training or coursework in managerial skills, public speaking and company operations is essential.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Governmental Affairs, Public Relations or Public Administration is required. For the Sr. Governmental Affairs Manager, a minimum of 8 years of experience is required.
- Knowledge of LA City and County government structure, function and operation; community networks and alliances, local electronic and print media.
- Knowledge of political science, communications, computer literacy, finance, and/or community relations.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to articulate complex issues, information and instructions to diverse internal and external audiences; provide public testimony and respond to media inquiries.
- Ability to compose well-organized, clear and concise written communication for internal and external audiences.
- Possess problem-solving and analytical skills to evaluate critical issues and impacts on Company operations and ratepayers; develop creative solutions.
- Interpersonal skills are used to build strategic alliances to educate and motivate others to support internal and external goals.
- Possess strong persuasion and communication skills.
- Possess strong computer skills including outlook and Microsoft office.
- Ability to work extended and irregular hours, including late evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel within the service territory.
Benefits We Offer:
SoCalGas offers a comprehensive, flexible benefits program to help support employees both personally and professionally. These benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive wages
- Medical, dental and vision packages
- 401K company match
- Pension Plan
- Tuition / education reimbursement
- We also offer tools and resources through SoCalGas University, our career development center.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-12