Gov’t Affairs & Public Policy Lead (Federal)
The successful candidate will join the growing team of Electrify America, a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group of America leading the implementation of the $2B Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Investment Plan. Electrify America is tasked with creating and facilitating a highly visible, reliable, interoperable and driver-oriented Electric Vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure network to support the increased adoption of Electric Vehicles in California and the rest of the United States. It will create the “Gas Stations of the Future” by investing in a range of current and future charging technologies that will provide ubiquitous access to EV drivers along highways, in metro areas, at multi-unit dwells, at workplaces and in ridesharing programs. Electrify America will also invest in initiatives to increase the awareness and education of driving electric and will support a number of strategic ‘Green Cities’ programs in California. Through its programs, Electrify America’s investment will enable millions of Americans to discover the benefits of driving electric.
- Assure that Electrify America and VW AG units are informed about Federal government actions that affect the Electrify America’s business.
- Affect the outcome of public policy processes before the Federal legislative & executive branches of government.
- Foresee Federal public policy opportunities that advance the interests of Electrify America and develop strategies to develop those activities.
- Build positive relations with governmental officials & institutions as well as outside organizations involved in the formation of public policy
- Support efforts to advance Electrify America interests at the state level if necessary
- Analyze & explain impact of Federal Regulatory developments as they relate to Volkswagen Group of America’s obligations outlined in appendix C of the partial consent decree
- Draft & disseminate internal analyses & reports regarding policy developments.
- Draft statements of corporate positions on policy issues including memoranda, fact sheets & comments for legislative hearing & administrative proceedings.
- Support the presentation of company positions in meetings with federal government officials, and support the drafting of proposed legislative & regulatory language.
- Support communication efforts with government representatives, industry representatives & representatives of other entities involved in development of policy.
- Participate in the Electric Vehicle committees, national associations, think tank dialogues, etc. related to the above matters.
- 7-10+ years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-7+ years of experience in government affairs or public policy
- 2-4 years of proven success developing or influencing legislation, regulation or public policy
- Capable of becoming registered as a lobbyist & if an attorney, must be a member in good standing of a State Bar Association
- Analytical and conceptual thinking – using logic and reason, creative and strategic
- Communication skills – interpersonal, presentation and written
- Computer savvy – skilled in the use of software
- Integration – joining people, processes or systems
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Problem solving
- Resource management
- Master’s degree in Public Affairs or Law Degree
- Established relationships with Federal Agencies (e.g. FERC, EPA, DOE), associations (e.g. NASEO), advocacy organizations, academia, and other organizations involved in formulating energy, transportation, or vehicle policy
- Policy analysis and impact analysis skills and experience
- Demonstrated writing ability
- Up to 50% travel to states and metropolitan areas in which Electrify America plans to focus investment.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-04-29