Govt & External Affairs Mgr – 90289269
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Manager, Government and External Affairs is responsible for managing key relationships with external stakeholders and implementing multifaceted strategic plans to advance the department’s legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Labor Policy and Government Affairs – Represent the Government Affairs department on all matters related to public policy and associated legislative affairs for labor issues, both internally and externally.
- In particular, work closely with DC labor representatives and policy shops of individual labor unions to identify areas of cooperation and shared interest, and work with the unions to implement the strategy and tactics to advance Amtrak’s legislative priorities before the Administration and Congress.
- Develop and monitor policy proposals, especially those related to the Railway Labor Act, National Mediation Board, Railroad Retirement Board, railroad unemployment insurance issues, employee safety issues, Hours of Service and other issues of interest to labor unions.
- Work closely with Amtrak’s Labor Relations department to ensure understanding of topics and scope of discussions, as well as alerting each other to issues which may cross the line of mandatory subjects of bargaining (i.e., staffing requirements, wages, benefits, etc.).
- Lead and support briefings on labor matters, including with key congressional Members/staff and agency officials, and represent the company at meetings, events, conferences and public speaking engagements. Some events may be after hours and/or require travel.
- Other External Affairs – In addition to handling labor policy issues, the position includes an ever-evolving portfolio of government and external affairs, including:
- Build support for Amtrak’s reauthorization proposal and network expansion plan by engaging a wide range of external stakeholders via traditional and non-traditional tactics.
- Generate briefing materials, presentations, newsletters, and related documents to support public policy and corporate goals that inform external partners.
- Develop, organize, and manage events, meetings and public conversations in support of Amtrak’s vision for a modern and expanded intercity passenger rail network.
• 7 years of work experience, including experience with a labor union or handling labor related issues.
• Bachelor’s Degree in business, public policy/administration, labor studies/labor relations, political science, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and training/experience.
• Effective writing, presentation, and meeting skills; interpersonal communication; time management; and conflict resolution.
• Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing within the corporation and externally.
• Ability to attend, events and receptions frequently after normal business hours.
• Ability to travel at a minimum of 10%.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to handle multiple tasks at one time and adapts easily to an exceptionally fast-paced working environment.
• Motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision.
• 9 years of relevant work experience
• Master’s Degree
• Understanding of public policy that impacts Amtrak and intercity passenger rail, especially labor issues, as well as the federal authorization and appropriations processes.
• Experience in coalition building and/or community outreach.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia
Job Family/Function:Government Affairs
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-22