Grants and Communications Manager
LifeSTEPS is committed to build thriving communities by empowering individuals and families through supportive housing and services. The STEP in LifeSTEPS stands for Skills Training and Educational Programs and is the heart of our mission. We believe community development is built One STEP at a time. Our vision is that every person served by LifeSTEPS will be empowered with the skills, resources, and support to maintain stable housing and break the cycle of poverty. Our founders believe that building affordable housing is only the first step. It is also essential to provide meaningful programs that empower people to move forward in their lives.
LifeSTEPS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. It was founded in 1996 and currently has over 300 partnered affordable housing properties all over the state of California. We serve several regions from Sacramento, Bay Area, South Bay, Central Valley, LA Valley, Desert, and LA South Region. We work with 90,000 residents all over the state and were on a mission to provide effective educational and supportive services to maximize the strengths of individuals and build resilient communities.
In addition to meeting your passion for making a difference in the lives of those we serve, all employees will receive the following benefits:
- Competitive pay based on skill and experience
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- LifeSTEPS Perks Program
Benefit eligible employees working 30 hours per week or more will also receive:
- Medical, Dental Vision, and Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Identity Theft Program
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Time Off
About the Position
The Grants Communications Manager (GCM) will develop and manage the overall resource development strategy for LifeSTEPS with oversight by the CFO. The position requires a creative and motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills, writing skills, training and teambuilding skills, and analytical capabilities. The successful candidate must have the desire, aptitude, and experience to cultivate relationships with prospective donors in the philanthropic, business, and civic communities. Strong and persuasive written communication, high-level strategic thinking, and strong project management skills are required. The candidate must thrive in an active office environment that is informal, yet professional, and maintain a positive approach in confronting work challenges. The successful candidate will need to build a deep understanding of LifeSTEPS foundational beliefs, values, mission and vision in order to create communications that represent LifeSTEPS authentic voice.
Core Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage short and long-term fundraising strategies to achieve a mix of individual, foundation, government, and corporate support.
- Assist in developing a strategy to participate in the cultivation and solicitation of corporate and foundation to support LifeSTEPS programs.
- Assist in the development and plan implementation to cultivate and increase individual donor support.
- Lead development of a comprehensive grants strategy in partnership with the Executive Director and Management Team.
- Build the annual grants calendar
- Write grants and submit comprehensive application packages as required.
- Prepare all final grant and major donor reporting by the deadline.
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy in the Raisers Edge database; ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Responsible for confirming accuracy in supporting spreadsheets and trackers attributed to restricted funding activity.
- Implement the organization’s marketing and public relations strategy and coordinate outreach efforts.
- Assist in driving marketing initiatives, brand exposure, and our social media presence.
- Assist in developing content for the organization’s website, promotional materials, and promotional pieces including client success stories.
- Partner with Accounting to ensure prompt reporting of all donations into the database as well as dissemination of necessary details to other departments.
- Cultivate and nurture key relationships with partners and donors; manage key partnership funds.
- Analyze and report on grant, in-kind, and donation trends with the goal of directing our efforts to maximize impact for the residents.
- Prepare and present progress reports to the Board of Directors and participate in Committee meetings as directed.
- Ensure restricted funds are spent according to the terms of grant contracts and/or specific donor requests.
- Provide consultation to staff with respect to restricted funds spending.
- Supervise and evaluate the work of department staff and contractors.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate electronic and paper files for lapsed, current, and prospective grant funders and keep updated grants contact logs.
- Work with department staff to develop annual work programs, including the department’s annual blueprint and budget.
- Lead regular department meetings and huddles
- With oversight from CFO, monitor and maintain department budget.
- Model, promote and live out the LifeSTEPS workplace values of integrity, innovation, empowerment, respect, and personal growth in tandem with the Oz Principles.
- Official Job Title: Grants and Communications Manager
- Job classification: Exempt, 40 hours per week
- Job Location: Sacramento, CA 95827 (Corporate office)
Education and/or Experience and/or License Certification:
- Bachelors degree in marketing, business management, communications, public relations or related field, English (an equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the degree.)
- Minimum of two years of Grants experience, including writing, securing, and managing funding and/or a minimum of two years of Communications experience, including marketing, public relations, public affairs, or related field.
- Prior supervisory experience working with development staff, grant writers, interns, and volunteers preferred.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting is preferred.
Are you ready to make a difference, stand behind and support individuals and families so they achieve their goals and become empowered to move forward in their lives? Apply today!!!
LifeSTEPS values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at LifeSTEPS means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age or covered veteran status. Please provide us with notice if you will require accommodations during the interview process
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-29