Grassroots Communications Consultant
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
MassMutual Government Relations is looking for a professional with significant experience in communications, grassroots, grasstops, political engagement as well as PAC marketing and administration and generally grow a culture of political advocacy company-wide.
This individual will be responsible for growing our communication efforts to a wide-ranging audience that includes executives, employees and field associates. This person will report to the Head of Government Relations and will work closely with both the State and Federal Lobbying teams.
The ideal candidate possesses a demonstrated ability to develop new initiatives, work well in a team environment, be self-motivated and directed, work well under deadline, and be a strategic thinking as it pertains to their areas of responsibility.
· Play lead role in development of communication and grassroots strategies for Government Relations.
· In partnership with the Political Action Committee manager, develop MassMutual’s political engagement efforts, which involves working with a diverse group of professionals nationwide.
· Leveraging technology for improved advocacy results, including developing innovative ways to communicate and creative thinking on the question of electronic database and letter writing system, including monitoring and reporting results.
· Advancing grassroots and grasstop capabilities.
· Developing strategies, and producing measurable results in advancing the culture of political awareness and participation.
· Write informative and persuasive communications, intranet articles (including maintenance of an employee-facing news intranet site), speeches, presentations (including PowerPoint) and talking points.
· Serve as a liaison to industry trade organizations on grassroots and grasstops advocacy campaigns.
· Represent Government Relations at various MassMutual conferences.
· Promote ‘in-district’ efforts directed at encouraging agents to meet with their local Members of Congress at home.
· Work internally to develop a MassMutual ‘narrative’ that can be used in a variety of public policy settings – Capitol Hill, Executive Branch, etc.
We are looking for an individual with excellent interpersonal skills, intellectual and analytical capabilities, pragmatic problem-solving skills, strong communications and influencing capabilities.
· Bachelor’s degree, emphasis on PR/Marketing and internal communications or political science academic backgrounds preferred.
· Minimum of seven years of work experience in specified work area.
· Insurance industry experience a plus.
· Political advocacy experience required.
· Self-starter with a keen sense of ownership and commitment to the work, and a passion to deliver results. Ability to prioritize and multi-task among competing goals, while exhibiting flexibility in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
· Ability to communicate effectively, persuasively, tactfully, and positively in both verbal and written forms, including with senior management.
· Strong attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Experience planning high profile events.
· Collaborative work style and strong leadership presence, with ability to effectively interact with and earn the trust of senior executives across the organization.
· Project and process management skills, including proven ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously.
· Knowledge of the political campaign process and FEC laws
· Strong public speaking abilities.
· Ability to conduct meetings, make presentations, and facilitate communications in a clear, concise and positive manner.
Why Join Us.
We’ve been around since 1851. During our history, we’ve learned a few things about making sure our customers our top priority. In order to meet and exceed their expectations, we must have the best people providing the best thinking, products and services. To accomplish this, we celebrate an inclusive, vibrant and diverse culture that encourages growth, openness and opportunities for everyone. A career with MassMutual means you will be part of a strong, stable and ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits. And your voice will always be heard.
Recognized as a 2019 World’s Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
Job posted: 2019-10-28