Grassroots Digital Advocate
Position Title: Manager, Digital Advocacy (Grassroots)
Reports To: Chief, Communications and Branding
Job Overview: Responsible for the ongoing development and execution of a grassroots network of engaged advocates for the distilled spirits industry and stakeholders, promoting commercial growth and the responsible consumption of distilled spirits.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Manage a public-facing, online advocacy network for stakeholders interested in advocating in support of the distilled spirits industry, at the federal and state level, to reinforce the legislative strategies established by the Public Policy office and educate the public on relevant issues.
- Continually develop, innovate, and promote activities that recruit interested grassroots advocates and sustain the grassroots network.
- Manage and direct the overall grassroots communications and strategy, in collaboration with the Government Relations, Communications, and Membership teams.
- Manage and direct related social media channels, to work in conjunction with the DISCUS social media channels.
- Actively engage with and update member companies on this initiative.
- Manage, coordinate, and execute industry issue awareness communications and grassroots programs
- Write and oversee the development of all website content.
- Coordinate and prepare efforts to have advocates contact public officials on specific issues i.e. “Call to Action” alerts. Develop the script and background materials provided to advocates and coordinate the requests.
- Prepare reports to track the effectiveness of outreach campaigns, calls to action and other engagement efforts.
- Outside of action alerts, actively communicate with advocates on status of specific issues, including fact sheets, toolkits, blogs and other materials necessary to support grassroots activities related to current/emerging policy issues.
- Manage industry partner program. Recruit state industry guilds and partner organizations to dedicate to broadening grassroots reach and engaging their members on Spirits United issues.
- Continue to recruit new partners in all 50 states.
- Actively engage and recruit potential advocates through the industry, including but not limited to: producers, suppliers, restaurant servers, and potentially wholesalers and retailers, among other stakeholders.
- Develop a system to actively invite elected officials to visit member distilleries for meetings with executive leadership and tours.
- Work closely, collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in other departments to stay abreast of potential grassroots opportunities
- Work closely with the Manager of Advocacy Communications on state issues for grassroots support.
- Ensure all campaigns and communications accurately represents members and the broader industry’s strategy for commercial growth and dedication to responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned
Needs Assistance with
- Day to day management of social media including drafting social media copy, posting/scheduling social media posts, and engagement
- Day to day management of CRM and Spirits United management including but not limited to campaign conversions, tagging, and general list hygiene.
- Backup needed on setting up grassroots campaigns via Phone2Action and action alerts via NationBuilder
Qualifications & Standards
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline required with applicable experience in communications, grassroots, and/or government relations
- 4 to 5 years in similar or related role
- Experience using grassroots and communications systems (i.e. NationBuilder, Phone2Action, etc.)
- Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated track record of successful grassroots campaigns
- Ability to learn and stay abreast of multiple relevant, political issues
- Knowledge of political and legislative processes
- Knowledgeable of various social media platforms
- Good computer skills including MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Self-starter with the ability to work alone or as part of a group
- Strategic, creative and curious thinker
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to influence, network and build relationships
- Ability to receive and listen to ideas from other departments, while not compromising the brand, image, and advocacy needs for Spirits United
- Strong planning, management, and communications skills
- Careful risk-taker
- Flexible and dependable
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-17