As Grassroots Director you will develop and execute a comprehensive strategy to create a member advocacy program to support the strategic objectives of the Association. Manages and administers the member advocacy program and directs activities to foster member participation in advocacy efforts at the national and state level to advance NAIFA’s public policy priorities.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Develop and implement strategy to identify, cultivate, and maintain quality relationships between NAIFA members and officials.
- Speak and write compellingly about grassroots engagement to attract and recruit member participation.
- Oversee all aspects of systems (Cision) and processes to track and mobilize grassroots in priority state and federal districts.
- Facilitate processes to bolster grassroots relationships including campaign events, advocacy media and intelligence sharing from lobbyists.
- Develop and implement grassroots campaigns and strategies to advance policy goals and build grassroots power in close collaboration with policy staff.
- Work seamlessly with PAC and policy colleagues to develop messages to attract members to participate in grassroots engagement.
- Organize volunteers to complete lobbying activities in collaboration with the state and federal policy team.
- Advise and collaborate with the Marketing and Communication department to create marketing communications, website content, partnerships, and media campaigns.
- Create training materials to educate NAIFA members to be effective citizen lobbyists.
- Provide technical assistance and training to strengthen state chapters in developing and implementing member participation in NAIFA’s grassroots program.
- Oversee and maintain digital data related to NAIFA’s grassroots program including grassroots sections of the NAIFA Advocacy Action Center.
- Execute mobilization of grassroots in priority districts facing top public policy challenges.
- Manage targeted grassroots and action-alert campaigns including coordination with NAIFA’s advocacy partners.
- Create effective reporting systems for grassroots to provide regular updates on their interactions with lawmakers.
- Advise APIC Subcommittee on the development, success, and growth of grassroots program.
- Identify and implement effective grassroots campaign tactics and actions, including fly-ins, action alerts, story banking, digital campaigns, petitions, field organizing, and more.
- Implement recognition programs for volunteer advocates.
- Manage direct communication to advocates including intelligence sharing of information gathered from lawmakers between lobbyists and grassroots contacts, and the development of quarterly communication to advocates.
- Creates live and remote training programs for advocates and potential contacts, including developing invitation list, preparing presentations, and securing additional presenters and panelists.
- Draft annual budget for the member grassroots program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the legislative process.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including public presentations and speaking activities.
- Prior work with volunteer organizations is helpful, but sensitivity to and awareness of volunteer needs is essential.
- Creative approaches to problem solving are required.
- Ability to simultaneously coordinate a variety of complex projects and work within activity program deadlines required.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in all aspects of the Cision or similar grassroots software programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, or related field from accredited university.
- 5-7 years of experience in advocacy outreach and capacity building at a national organization.
- Experience recruiting and cultivating grassroots and grasstops advocates.
- Strong communications and political messaging experience.
NAIFA recognizes how important it is to provide our employees with the best possible environment in which to work. We offer a generous benefits package that includes:
- Telework options
- Health and Dental Plan (COVID testing and treatment covered 100%)
- Prescription Plan
- Life, AD&D, and Business Travel Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Legal Services Plan
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Uninsured Medical and Dependent Care
NAIFA also offers various programs and benefits to assist employees with work/life balance solutions, such as an Employee Assistance Program, wellness programs, direct deposit, business casual dress code, flexible work schedules, educational seminars, and free parking.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com explaining why you are interested in the position and what makes you stand out as a candidate.
NAIFA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
The health and safety of our team members is paramount. NAIFA was 100% telework from March through October, and now offer liberal telework. Return to work guidelines offer flexibility to continue telework and include CDC’s recommended protocols.
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are interested in the position and what makes you stand out as a candidate.
Job posted: 2021-07-20