Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) is the nation’s largest membership organization for providers and professionals who care for people affected by serious and life-limiting illness. As the respected authority on hospice and palliative care, NHPCO is a leader in advancing public policy and quality programs that improve access to high quality, person-centered interdisciplinary care when and where people need it. NHPCO believes in Service by engaging customers, Respect by honoring others, Excellence by exceeding expectations, Collaboration by fostering partnerships and Stewardship by managing resources.
Reporting to the Vice President of Policy and Government Relations, NHPCO is currently seeking a Grassroots Manager to join our mission-driven team. In this role, you will design and manage strategic grassroots campaigns to support hospice and palliative care policies. Responsibilities may include creating and disseminating advocacy action alerts, developing meaningful connections with members of Congress, and producing materials that contribute to the overall goal of political involvement and awareness for the Hospice Action Network (HAN) membership. The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of the federal legislative process and experience in grassroots recruitment, training, and mobilization.
- Proactively recruits and maintains relationships with advocates to engage with their federal representatives by designing, coordinating, implementing, and managing strategic grassroots campaigns to support hospice and palliative care policies.
- Works with the legislative affairs and policy team to complement lobbying activity by mobilizing the HAN’s nationwide network of grassroots and grasstops advocates to facilitate and leverage their relationships with elected officials.
- Organizes and executes opportunities for grassroots advocates to further develop their advocacy training and skill set.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with grassroots advocates and state level contacts.
- Coordinates with Vice President of Policy and Government Relations to identify potential growth opportunities in each state.
- In collaboration with legislative affairs team, secures meetings on Capitol Hill according to HAN’s legislative priorities.
- Creates, manages, and disseminates online content, advocacy action alerts, newsletters, social media communications and emails for advocates on CongressPlus and NHPCO/HAN’s websites, as well as overseeing administrative duties for contacting grassroots members.
- Actively seeks to develop meaningful connections and relationships between HAN members and members of congress.
- Produces presentations, one-pagers, and other written materials that contribute to the overall goal of political involvement and awareness for HAN’s membership.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, or related field.
- A minimum of four to five years of relevant work experience in a Congressional office or campaign, lobbying firm, membership organization, or non-profit, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in grassroots outreach and online communications.
- Experience in healthcare policy, either regulatory or legislative is preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with constraints that are outside of your control.
- Excellent organizational, writing, editing and communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail as well as analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to respectfully listen to ideas, opinions and concerns of others while working cooperatively with others on interdependent goals and fosters a collaborative environment that drives work in the same direction of NHPCO’s mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to work extended hours during peak times.
- Ability to maintain an appropriate level of online connectivity outside of normal work hours.
Please use this link Manager of Grassroots Advocacy to submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this role. We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment inside and outside of the organization.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This position is classified as a full-time, exempt salaried position with a starting base salary at $76,800 – $86,800 annually (commensurate with related experience) plus an opportunity to earn annual merit increases based on annual performance goals, as well as the potential (but not guaranteed) performance bonuses.
This role is eligible to work a hybrid telework arrangement (1-2 days/week onsite) in the Washington, DC area.
NHPCO offers an excellent benefits package, which includes medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, short- and long-term disability plans, retirement, tuition reimbursement, paid leave, twelve paid holidays, twelve weeks paid parental leave, wellness programs, home office stipend and more! A flexible work arrangement, including telework, is available for all employees.
NHPCO requires all employees to be up-to-date and fully vaccinated from the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. If hired, you will be required to show proof that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine(s) or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
NHPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2023-01-09