Green House Gas Government Policy Manager
Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Greenhouse Gases (GHG) Government Policy Manager for North America.
The position will define and execute our Greenhouse Gas (GHG) government policy strategy to support Air Product existing business and growth opportunities for North America. You will be responsible for identify emerging GHG-related policy or business issues, developing policy solutions and government engagement strategies to ensure profitability and ease of compliance of finalized GHG rules. Geographic scope includes supervising all relevant federal, state/provincial and local government GHG policy activities in the USA and Canada and engaging in-person as the need arises. Excellent interpersonal communication and technical skills are required to effectively use working relationships with government entities at all levels as appropriate across the continuum of GHG policy activities—conceptualization, development and finalization. This will be done in partnership with the GHG Program Manager, along with business, EHS, government relations, operations senior leaders and outside resources.
- Supervise, analyze, assess and promote new, emerging or needed GHG and carbon intensity reduction laws, regulations and policies for impact on Air Products existing and growth businesses.
- Effectively communicate Air Products position on emerging and proposed GHG regulations by in-person verbal communication and formal written comments to influence desired outcomes.
- Develop and implement GHG strategies needed to protect, improve and grow business portfolios.
- Partner with client and stakeholder organizations to implement the most cost effective and business friendly solution to GHG related issues. Key stakeholders often include Commercial Managers, Law, Government Relations, Engineering, Operations, Executive Leadership, and governmental agencies.
- Provide an issue management structure and process in relevant regions, identifying and assessing the impact of emerging environmental GHG regulations to Air Products operations by country and state/province.
- Support the functional competency of the environmental staff to adequately understand GHG regulation and the needed implementation requirements.
- Lead corporate interactions with governmental agencies, industry associations and ENGOs that plan and lead common GHG interests and develop cost effective solutions to industry issues.
- Ensure full compliance with all lobbyist registration requirements and rules as well as model company Commitment to Integrity policies.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Broad and extensive GHG compliance reporting, handling credits and allocations, experience in multiple U.S. states especially California, and preferably in Canada at the Federal and province level (Alberta and Ontario).
- Experience in a large, multi-cultural, corporate setting.
- 5+ years’ in a GHG compliance and regulatory engagement role. Understanding of the design and operation of large-scale chemical processes, particularly combustion (i.e. cogeneration). Specific expertise including industrial hydrogen production processes, as well as their underlying process chemistry is a plus. Be particularly familiar with the sources of, and design/operating aspects that influence, emissions of GHG.
- Experience with typical process monitoring methods and equipment (their capabilities and their limitations) required to satisfy GHG emission reporting requirements
- Ability to quickly learn Air Products technologies, and business model to exploit GHG regulation or regulation development for best effect
- Understanding alternative commercial models and the impact of alternative regulatory strategies on those business models
- Ability to understand and advise on commercial contract terms as they relate to leading current and future compliance cost recovery resulting from GHG regulations.
- Ability to identify the underlying regulatory objectives and develop alternative strategies that can achieve both the regulatory objectives while protecting Air Products business interests.
- Strong communication and influence skills, and effective at collaborating with stakeholders, including direct negotiation with authorizing agencies.
- Excellent presentation, one-on-one interpersonal and negotiations skills. The ability to think on your feet and apply the power of persuasion and selling your “better” alternative to regulators.
- Ability to reduce complex technical and regulatory elements into language common to regulators unfamiliar with our technology, internal business team members, external customers, elected officials and appointed senior bureaucrats
- Understanding of alternative GHG emission regulatory approaches, around the world (i.e. carbon taxes, production allocation systems, cap & trade, etc.), their strengths and weaknesses, and how they might apply to Air Products businesses interests.
- Extensive experience reading and applying GHG regulations to process industries
- Experience representing industry to staff and senior management of regulatory agencies, government ministries and elected officials and their staff. Creating, leading and contributing to industry group advocacy collaborations.
- Strong project management skills, as well as a systems and work process orientation
- Experience with root cause analysis, best practices and continuous improvement desirable
- Engaging leadership style, promoting the involvement of employees in a safe-to-say work environment.
- Strong computer skills essential: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, as well as federal and state GHG reporting systems
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (chemical engineering preferred) or environmental science, or a related field of study. An advanced degree in engineering, environmental science and/or law is desirable. MBA is helpful
- Ability to travel as required (Up to 50%)
To learn more, visit About Air Products.
Air Products offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-08