Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Corporate Affairs, US Federal Government Affairs and Policy
The Head of US Corporate Affairs, US Federal Government Affairs and Policy is responsible for the development, strategic alignment and pull-through of proactive and reactive policy shaping opportunities in the US related to access and affordability, protecting innovation, and developing strategies to enhance corporate reputation with external government and related stakeholders. This role will lead the evaluation of policy proposals and work with Finance, Market Access and other internal stakeholders to assess and communicate potential impacts to the business. This role also will support the VP, US Corporate Affairs with PhRMA related engagements, including preparation of Board briefing materials, and deliver relevant updates to internal stakeholders. This role will be responsible for leading the company’s engagement with the US Congress, the Administration, and other government stakeholders to advance strategically aligned priorities.
The ideal candidate possesses a strong blend of strategic planning and stakeholder engagement expertise, along with strong oral and written communications skills. This position will represent the interests of the US Federal Government Affairs and Policy team on the US Corporate Affairs Leadership Team and work collaboratively, as needed, with teams across the US business, Biopharmaceuticals, Oncology, and the global Corporate Affairs team.
- Be an active member of the US Corporate Affairs Leadership Team delivering strategic advice and counsel across the US CA team and across the broader AstraZeneca enterprise as needed.
- Lead and manage the US Federal Government Affairs and Policy teams.
- Support and coach the CEO and other SET members when engaging with US federal government stakeholders.
- Initiate, cultivate and maintain relationships with government and related stakeholders to protect, nurture and build the reputation of the business.
- Anticipate and manage US federal government risks. Coordinate federal government affairs approach and responses in close collaboration with the VP, US Corporate Affairs.
- Develop a strategy that informs and engages internal stakeholders by ensuring that they understand the government affairs strategy and the external environment.
- Coach, manage and mentor a team of government affairs and policy professionals, including talent management and succession planning as well as day-to-day skills development and training.
- Stay abreast of cross-industry and marketplace opportunities and challenges.
- Provide executives with a timely assessment of constituent issues and public sentiment along with their bearing on government affairs and policy efforts.
- Always demonstrate enterprise leadership and role model value-aligned behavior.
Capabilities and Experience:
- Significant federal government affairs and policy experience, with demonstrated results within a leading company, agency, government or NGO.
- A proven government affairs executive – technically excellent on legislative and regulatory matters, highly networked with relevant stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the pharmaceutical industry.
- Proven ability to serve as an engaged, credible member of a high-performing leadership team, with a successful record of providing effective advice, counsel, and coaching to senior leaders.
- Proven ability to master complex regulatory and policy issues, and to translate them into clear and concise messaging.
- Track record of working successfully within a highly matrixed and interdependent global and US environment, coordinating regional and enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Knowledge of the financial, regulatory and political environments in the U.S.
- Acute political sensitivity and acumen – able to read the internal and external environment and proactively steer decision making accordingly, acting as an ambassador of the company
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree a plus.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Deep expertise in federal government affairs and policy is required.
- Track record of leading teams to deliver tangible results in support of business priorities.
- Strong executive presence and acumen advising C-suite and board-level leaders.
- Experience managing different stakeholder relationships at all levels.
- Management of complex issues/crises with international dimensions.
- Extensive understanding of the AZ business and its operating environment.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. Accordingly, AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. AstraZeneca will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-26