Head of Federal Government Relations
Edward Jones (the “Firm”) is a Fortune 500 company with over 45,000 associates, more than seven million clients, and in excess of $1 trillion in client assets under care. We are headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. Our Mission is to help serious, long-term individual investors achieve their financial goals by understanding their needs and implementing tailored solutions.
• Our clients’ interests come first.
• We value working in partnership.
• Individuals and their contributions are valued and respected.
• We believe in a quality-oriented, long-term investment philosophy.
Edward Jones’ leaders are committed to personal awareness, development, and open communication, which enables them to think strategically, plan, organize, and execute to get work done. Our leaders apply good judgment in a courageous way, and develop and inspire others, while building and nurturing collaborative relationships. They embrace and champion change and innovation. These competencies allow our results-driven leaders to deliver the right results, while putting our clients first.
Edward Jones has an exciting opportunity for an individual with a strong interest in political and regulatory issues affecting the financial services industry. Edward Jones has effectively engaged in the DC policy-making process for past 30 plus years, but we believe it is the right time to build a more sustained presence in DC and deepen our relationships with elected officials and other policy-makers. The individual selected for this role will enjoy the benefit of working for a well-established 97-year old Fortune 500 firm; but will also have the opportunity to be a key influencer within the Firm by focusing on the issues most impactful to the firm and our clients. They will not only develop and implement strategies to address current federal issues, but will also develop long-term networks and coalitions to advance important political and societal issues that are consistent with the mission of the firm. The position will be based out of Washington, D.C.
The successful candidate will need to be disciplined, highly-motivated, a self-starter and comfortable working in an independent environment. They should have a strong background on Capitol Hill, and be respected on both sides of the aisle for their policy work, regardless of their past political affiliation. A strong cultural fit with the Firm is necessary as this individual will be the steward of the Firm’s brand in DC.
• Review and summarize proposed federal legislation and regulatory issues for potential firm and client impact.
• Communicate significant federal legislation and regulation to key internal stakeholders for review and coordination.
• Assist in the development of strategies to address federal issues and implement those strategies.
• Assist in formulating and effectively communicating firm positions on issues to appropriate stakeholders.
• Interact with government officials at all levels, including members of Congress, executive branch and regulatory agencies.
• Establish and maintain effective networks and coalitions on both sides of the political aisle.
• Support development of nonmarket strategies to promote awareness and positively influence public perception of the firm.
• Assist with the management and coordination of DC consultants.
• Communicate the firm’s public policy positions to trade association partners, including SIFMA, IRI, ICI and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
• Support the Grassroots Task Force in the execution of client-focused advocacy.
• Cultivate relationships and maintain communication with key, diverse stakeholders throughout DC.
• Support the Firm’s regulatory outreach initiatives with the SEC, FINRA and state securities regulators.
• Assist with state government affairs activities.
At Edward Jones, we help clients achieve their serious, long-term financial goals by understanding their needs and implementing tailored solutions. To ensure a personal client experience, we have located our 14,000+ branch offices where our more than 7 million clients live and work.
A typical branch office has one financial advisor who meets with clients face-to-face and one branch office administrator who enhances the team’s ability to build deep relationships with clients. Headquarters associates in St. Louis and Tempe provide support and expertise to help U.S. and Canada branch teams deliver an ideal client experience. Edward Jones currently has more branch offices than any other financial services firm, and we continue to grow to meet the needs of long-term individual investors.
Awards and Accolades
ABOUT EDWARD JONES:
At Edward Jones, our commitment to providing a workplace that both challenges us and rewards our associates has contributed to our consistent inclusion in the FORTUNE Magazine list of the “100 Best Companies to Work For®” in America. For year 2019, Edward Jones is honored to be ranked at number seven, continuing our longtime inclusion in the top ten.
The Firm was founded in 1922 by Edward D. Jones Sr. After working a rural territory in Missouri and Illinois, Ted Jones, the son of the founder, positioned the company in the increasingly competitive marketplace as a specialist in providing investment advice to individual investors. In the 1970s and 1980s the Firm realized that the appeal of Edward Jones was not based on geography. Rather, the Firm appeals to a certain kind of investor anywhere. Capitalizing on this realization, the Firm began expanding into metropolitan areas. Edward Jones now conducts the majority of its business in urban and suburban markets at over 14,000 locations in the United States and Canada.
The Edward Jones philosophy is that service to the individual is of utmost importance. Its 17,500 financial advisors provide this personal brand of service by discussing clients’ individual investment needs on a one-on-one basis. Having cultivated a previously untapped market of investors, Edward Jones financial advisors provide financial solutions that include a broad mix of municipal, government and corporate bonds; mutual funds; common stocks; and tax-advantaged securities.
Although the Firm’s size has changed, its set of business principles has remained the same. First, the Firm serves just one client: the serious, long-term individual investor. Second, the Firm’s investment philosophy emphasizes quality, and a well-balanced portfolio. Lastly, it believes personal relationships are key. Thus, the Edward Jones brand appeals to a careful and considerate kind of investor, who prefers a long-term relationship with his or her financial services Firm.
Job posted: 2019-10-09