Head of Global Health Systems & Market Access Policy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Advances in scientific and technological research are opening up new, promising treatments for previously difficult to treat diseases, increasing the demand on already constrained healthcare budgets. The challenging economic and political environment is leading payers and the increasing number of market access stakeholders to demand better outcomes at lower costs to the overall health system. The escalating tension between cost and value means that the bar is higher for proving added benefit.
In this environment, AbbVie needs to understand the evolving healthcare system and market access landscape and the new models of access that may facilitate the shift to value-based healthcare. These insights will enable AbbVie to enhance and evolve our market access capabilities and strategies to secure timely access for patients. This role will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to create a positive and beneficial access environment.
This role will be responsible for leading the evaluation of healthcare systems and market access policy trends; defining the strategic focus for global market access policy for AbbVie; drawing on a wide range of expertise both internal and external to AbbVie to develop strong, aligned market access policy objectives, positions, and solutions; and driving the development of innovative platforms that goes across therapeutic area (above brand topics such value assessment framework, patient centered outcomes, private health insurance, value-based pricing) to advance these positions across global markets. In addition, this role will serve to advise and inform market access approaches and payer strategy based on evidence-based insights, trends and developments.
The ideal candidate thrives in a high-profile role, has the ability to think strategically and creatively, and has strong matrix leadership skills to drive a global strategic vision.
This position reports to Vice President, Global Market Access & Pricing, and is a key member of the Global Market Access and Pricing Leadership team.
Key responsibilities include:
Define Global Market Access Policy Objectives & Strategy
- Lead the ongoing assessment of macroeconomic policy dynamics, healthcare system and infrastructure trends, pricing & reimbursement policy developments and challenges, innovative access approaches, market access stakeholder evolution, in order to anticipate potential impact to patient access to AbbVie’s portfolio, and to identify potential opportunities to inform AbbVie’s global market access strategy at a therapeutic area level and at a brand level.
- Define global market access policy planning framework to support Affiliates/Areas in systematically monitoring, identifying, anticipating, and validating environmental trends to feed up to global to inform global priorities.
- Based on the aggregation of internal and external insights and trends and AbbVie’s pipeline, define AbbVie’s global market access policy priorities (such as value assessment framework, novel funding mechanisms, private health insurance, value-based pricing, indication based pricing, patient etc). Develop cross-functional action plan and provide global stewardship on priority areas for engagement and environment shaping that will help to advance and accelerate access to AbbVie’s portfolio:
- Establish above Therapeutic Areas market access policy objectives, in concert with other cross-functional partners, Areas and Affiliates
- Generate disease impact (above brand) policies objectives and plans in partnership with Value & Access Teams (AST, GBT, etc), Areas and Affiliates
- Support development and implementation of brand/asset strategies and plan that shape favorable access and funding environments
- Lead development of market access policy positions and supporting resources that address access barriers, support patient choice and ensure a sustainable pharmaceutical industry; and enable cross-functional partners to effectively engage with external stakeholders on these topics
- Build a systematic approach to capability building to support Areas/affiliates to (1) conduct external environmental assessment to understand and anticipate local market access policy trends, (2) localize multiyear (3 year) and annual integrated access plans, and (3) how to effectively shape the external environment to advance market access priorities
- In collaboration with key externally facing functions, provide guidance and support engagement with policy stakeholders (trade associations, policymakers, patient advocacy groups, etc) and public affairs stakeholders to advance access policy objectives
- Serve as a critical advisor and provide thought leadership to the Global Market Access Leadership Team and Commercial Leadership at the global/area/affiliate level on developments and trends that may inform new or refined market access strategies to effectively enhance access for our pipeline and on-market portfolio
- Develop and cultivate an external global network of market access and public policy experts and advisors that provide ongoing, objective assessments of global and country specific trends and can inform an external dialogue on market access topics of critical importance to AbbVie’s business.
- Work closely with Government Affairs, Public Affairs, and other key internal stakeholders (GMCO, GMAP, Global Commercial Development, Med Affairs, GHEOR) to ensure awareness of market access policy insights, positions and areas of focus to enable external advocacy efforts and shaping.
- Advanced degree in business, public policy, science, health economics or related field is required
- The candidate must have at least 10-15 years of progressive experience preferably in a variety of market access related areas (including Health Economics, External Affairs or Health Policy roles)
- Enthusiasm for bringing treatments and innovative medicines to patients
- Demonstrates high level of understanding of policy implications on patient access
- Experience of leading through the matrix with ability of selling ideas and influencing cross-functional partners
- Demonstrates strategic enterprise thinking by seeing the picture, finding innovative, and being able to connects the dots or unrelated concepts
- Demonstrated experience in the use of market access to support the business objectives
- The candidate must have comprehensive knowledge of pharmaceutical commercialization and drug development process
- The candidate must be comfortable in international markets, and have the ability to function in multinational and multicultural environments
- Knowledge and experience multiple therapeutic areas
- Experience in other functional areas such as sales, product marketing, planning, clinical development, regulatory affairs, medical affairs, analytical roles, HEOR, finance
- The candidate must have strong analytic, presentation and writing skills
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-13