Head, Global Public Affairs, Respiratory Diseases, Dupixent
Head, Global Public Affairs, Respiratory Diseases, Dupixent
At Sanofi Genzyme, the ambition of the Global Public Affairs (PA) team is to create the conditions that promote scientific innovation and enables sustainable patient access to Sanofi’s product portfolio. Public affairs communicates the company’s position to support key public policies and aims to create a healthcare policy environment that serves the needs of patients and societies globally. Within Global Public Affairs, we strive to support this endeavor by engaging and developing trusted partnerships with patients, caregivers, policy makers and all stakeholders who serve and play an active role in supporting patients. Our ambition is to be a trailblazing PA organization that actively shapes the future of healthcare for the betterment of all patients by inspiring stakeholders – across the health continuum – around this shared vision.
The Head of Global Public Affairs for Respiratory Diseases, Dupixent will grow Sanofi Genzyme’s leadership in respiratory diseases by ensuring our continued commitment to the respiratory community, raising awareness about the underlying cause of specific respiratory conditions, and by working with key stakeholders to support a policy environment that ensures better health outcomes for patients and their families.
The Dupixent respiratory portfolio includes, severe asthma, chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyposis (CRSwNP), and esophagus esophagitis (EoE). The Dupixent pipeline includes additional assets that are under investigation and if successful, will be included into the global public affairs portfolio.
The Head of GPA for Respiratory will report to the Global Head of Public Affairs for Immunology and will work closely with partners from across functions to ensure alignment with global strategies (commercial, medical, market access, communications, HEOR, clinical trials, etc) and to develop the global public affairs strategy for each Dupixent respiratory indication.
He/she will work closely with Sanofi’s prioritized markets to ensure country PA execution and will work with external stakeholders from across industry and disciplines to understand the patient journey, their unmet needs (in each disease area), support advocacy efforts, and identify policy levers and obstacles that help or hinder access. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for bringing external feedback and insights inside the company to inform strategies and product development.
The Head of GPA for Respiratory will also be responsible for the global public affairs respiratory budget and all future respiratory indications and will work closely with finance and our Alliance partner, Regeneron.
Fundamental to this role are:
- Development of the global public affairs strategy for severe asthma, CRSwNP, EoE and all future respiratory pipeline indications
- Understanding the priorities of the business and working closely with the global brand team (across functions) to align PA tactics with the brand strategy and provide PA support and expertise where relevant
- Understanding the market, the unmet needs of patients, the policy landscape, the competition, and the key stakeholders critical for patients to better understand their condition and access the right therapies
- Bringing the “outside perspective into the company” and ensure the global team understands the perspective of the patient and critical stakeholders
- Knowing the policy landscape (above and in priority markets) and specifically understanding the policies that help or hinder patient access.
- Working together with priority markets to ensure the successful execution of the global respiratory public affairs strategy (and all future applicable indications) while ensuring support for local PA tactics
- Understanding the competitive landscape and ensure strategic positioning for the brand
- Engaging externally with established partners and working proactively to develop new relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders for future indications
- Knowing the key milestones for Dupixent’s future indications and develop short and long-term strategies to support their success
- Ability to work with third party partners, including patient organizations, healthcare professionals, scientific societies, patients, policy makers, multi-lateral organizations
- Initiating real-world-evidence and research initiatives to illustrate the unmet needs, impact, burden and quality of life of patients, caregivers and those impacted by the above mentioned respiratory conditions
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to develop awareness campaigns and mobilize action
- Member of global brand team(s) and drive the brand’s “Where to Play/How to Win” strategy focusing specifically where PA can deliver value with clear and specific tactics
- Work with countries to roll-out the global PA plan and support local tactics and engagement
- Collaborate to leverage resources and expertise across the brand team to align and champion “one Sanofi voice”
- Continue to drive awareness and develop resources and tools for affiliates and for the severe asthma community, CRSwNP community, EoE community, and for all new respiratory indications.
- Understand the literature base for severe asthma, CRSwNP, EoE and all new respiratory disease areas and work with the community to develop RWE that can be used to support advocacy and awareness
- Work closely with the Sanofi communications team to develop disease awareness initiatives and campaigns and to reach the broader general public at the global, regional and country levels
- Understand development milestones and develop short and long-term PA strategies
- Engage with external patient/caregiver and relevant organizations to strengthen capability and capacity, enabling effective, sustainable organizations and disease support
- Budget management across respiratory PA budget franchise
- Resp program development/implementation
- Lead quarterly update reports to TA leads across indications and brands
- Bachelor’s Degree (accredited four-year College or university) is required.
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field (i.e. public affairs, international affairs, public health, health policy, etc.) or specifically in public health or a healthcare related field.
- A minimum of 10-12-years of professional experience in public affairs, government affairs, policy, external affairs and/or patient advocacy, with responsibilities for market-shaping strategies, policy and advocacy campaigns, or advanced responsibilities in an industry (or advocacy global institution) public affairs role.
- Good knowledge of the therapeutic area and of community needs.
- Experience in developing and leading within a highly matrixed environment.
- Previous experience partnering with Commercial, Medical, Market Access, Policy/External Affairs and/or Communications cross-functional teams.
- This position may require up to 30% overall travel.
- Language: Fluent English (oral & written).
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated understanding of the decisive role of Public Affairs and policy in driving business success.
- Solid track record in translating strategy to action: developing high impact Public Affairs strategies, deploying PA tools and tactics to meet business objectives.
- Strong leader with proven leadership ability to build consensus, influence the debate, mobilize teams around a position or cause.
- Team player, skilled in collaboration and able to work and lead with ease cross-functionally and within a matrix.
- Ability to work with an alliance partner on a daily basis.
- Working knowledge of policy and political environment, legislative processes and role of supra-national bodies.
- Skilled at developing and cultivating relationships with key stakeholders, including: patient organizations, medical societies, physicians and other strategic partners.
- Strong knowledge of stakeholder groups, including multi-lateral institutions, trade associations and patient organizations.
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry, appreciation of critical trends shaping the operating landscape and relevance to industry/business strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams of experts and senior leaders in a highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable in ambiguous settings and in operating effectively in fast paced environments.
- Mindset that thinks Global and implements Local.
- Proactive mindset to stay “one step ahead” in strategy setting and in daily work.
The successful candidate will be required to sign and execute a restricted covenant upon hire.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-13