Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Government Affairs
Genomatica develops commercial biobased processes to make widely used chemicals that enable better, more sustainable everyday products. That enables our partners and leading brands to offer better food packaging, auto parts, clothing, tires, carpets, and more.
We’ve commercialized processes for bio-BDO (for plastics) and for biobased butylene glycol (for cosmetics); and our technology drives the world’s first commercial-scale biobased plant for a major intermediate chemical. We’re working on polyamide intermediates (nylon) and on butadiene (tires); and we’re helping numerous companies with their bioprocesses. We have more on the way.
Genomatica is seeking an experienced and motivated Head of Government of Affairs to lead our advocacy engagement with US federal and state lawmakers, and European lawmakers to support Genomatica’s position and build our presence on environmental public policy issues of significance, specifically regarding sustainability, climate change, and the circular economy.
The role will also advocate Genomatica’s position in industry organizations and NGOs as a verified leader in sustainable sourcing of products and technology. The successful candidate must thrive in a fast-paced, diverse and inclusive team environment, having persuasive networking, verbal and written communication skills. The candidate should have demonstrated success in leading company public policy efforts in public forums and engagement-based advocacy activities. A strong stakeholder network and systematic knowledge is critical for success. The individual selected will strategically drive Genomatica’s participation in legislative coalitions and trade associations. They will shape and guide the Marketing and Communications team’s deployment of our advocacy content across social and other media outlets.
The role requires cross-functional alignment with business leadership and senior executives to establish advocacy objectives critical to the success of Genomatica’s sustainability goals. He/she will work closely with the senior leaders to identify opportunities for executives and other employees to speak on behalf of the company to highlight both our commitment to sustainability as well as the significant positive impact on the environment our products and technologies can offer.
In addition, the role has responsibility to manage our efforts in developing access to sustainable capital investment project financial incentives available through various governmental programs across our geographies. This entails working both directly with the agencies or through consultants as the investment project determines.
This is a full-time position reporting to the COO.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Direct and manage Genomatica stakeholder engagements, public policy development, and advocacy workstream
- Manage memberships in industry trade associations and coalitions; assess appropriate fora for Genomatica participation based on corporate and business specific strategies.
- Directly engage with lawmakers and their staff regarding legislation, business-critical items, and sustainability issues
- Plan and execute Congressional Briefings; plan and execute lobbying activities such as fly-ins, etc.
- Responsible for all correspondence sent on behalf of Genomatica to US Congressional and EU policymakers, including draft and review comments to US and EU agencies.
- Represent Genomatica in public forums, including in partnership with industry, NGOs, and governments. .
- Develop policy positions that strengthen and support Genomatica’s leadership position in creating low carbon, bio-based sustainable industry solutions
- Further develop Synbio engagement strategy and serve as point of contact with participating companies. Determine and lead Genomatica’s position in other targeted coalition and partner organizations.
- Draft op-eds, editorials, and other content for senior management.
- Monitor and measure message pull-through and impact
- Lead Genomatica’s efforts in determining and obtaining government financial support for sustainable investment projects
- Support the development of Genomatica’s Sustainability report.
Qualifications & Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required in order satisfactorily perform in this role.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (Law, Public Policy or Administration, or Government Affairs) is required. An advanced degree (MPA, MPP, MBA, or equivalent) is desired.
- 10+ years of demonstrated success leading public policy and industry advocacy at a leading company preferably in the chemical or biochemical industry.
- Proven track record of gaining Senate and/or House and/or White House attention and action for your company or client’s agenda.
- Measurable success in multiplying GA effectiveness by identifying, selecting, and managing lobbyist groups and/or coalitions.
- Experience in managing public affairs on ESG, sustainability or climate-based topics preferably at a mission focused company.
- Demonstrated success in identifying and closing on US, state and/or EU funding, tax or loan opportunities.
- Fundamental knowledge of how NGOs and US/EU lawmaker policy and political trends develop, while identifying key stakeholders to engage.
- Practical understanding of ESG, sustainability, climate change, and the NGOs influencing and supporting associated policy changes.
- Deep knowledge of US and EU political and policy processes
- Knowledge of government project funding such as the EU Green Deal or other country-specific tax credits or incentives in each major geography that supports sustainable investment projects relevant to Genomatic technology.
- Ability to successfully lead and manage across multiple functions to get alignment with key stakeholders on engagement prioritization, key actions, and path forward
- Execution orientation with decision making and prioritization skills and a good understanding of when to escalate issues.
- Ability to lead and further develop the company’s public advocacy and engagement.
- Ability to lead, collaborate, challenge, and influence internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, time management and planning skills
- Excellent written and oral communication, along with networking skills to effectively manage in a diverse and inclusive work environment (EI).
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Will require up to 30% travel depending on business needs (conferences, etc>)
- Occasional weekend and/or evening hours required
- Preferred primary work location in the US (Washington DC) or Europe (Brussels, Belgium).
Genomatica is committed to providing exciting career opportunities in an environment that values trust, respect, openness, teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and diligence. We strive to create a culture that enables and encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are committed to be a company where everyone feels they have equal opportunity to reach their potential. Everyone is accepted and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to Genomatica.
We promote the continued development of an inclusive environment that values diversity through Geno4All, our employee led Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee. We are looking for innovative, highly motivated, and collaborative people who enjoy the challenges and rewards of a company devoted to commercializing cutting-edge sustainable technology.
Check us out on our LinkedIn Life page. Genomatica is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-12