Head of Government and Community Affairs
The Head of Government and Community Affairs provides strategic leadership for the Getty on government and community relations. The position supports the Getty’s mission and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs. It maintains and nurtures relationships with government, associated authorities, the community, homeowners associations, and the Getty’s internal stakeholders. The position is a key Getty operations leader.
Major Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Planning
- Advance the mission, vision, and both short- and long-term goals of the Getty.
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of community, land use, transportation, and regional issues impacting Southern California.
- Develop external communication strategies for operational initiatives and projects.
- Plan and lead various community programs and projects, and implement strategies.
- Provide early identification of initiatives, programs, and issues that may affect Getty operations.
External and Internal Engagement
- Develop and maintain effective and sound relationships with local, state, and federal government officials, and community and neighborhood leaders.
- Represent the Getty externally on projects and operations. Speak on behalf of the institution.
- Cultivate relationships with Getty internal stakeholders. Develop effective working relationships with Communications, Legal, Facilities, and Security supporting day-to-day operations.
- Effectively share information across and between multiple disciplines, reaching varied audiences.
- Support the institution with emergency planning and response.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory activities, and determine effects of Getty operations.
- Ability to synthesize position papers and presentations.
- Provide briefings and presentations to leadership and senior stakeholders.
- Strong business acumen and ability to manage multiple priorities, processes, timelines, and expectations of multiple stakeholder groups.
- Attend Getty events, receptions, and community meetings outside of business hours.
- Supervise staff.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in external affairs, particularly as they pertain to cultural institutions and/or higher education, and a demonstrated ability in organizational planning and strategy development.
- Experience working in a political or non-profit environment, preferably in a position involving project management and community outreach.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in political science, public affairs, public administration, public policy, or government relations. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Strong organizational, project management, supervisory, and leadership capabilities are required.
- Proven achievement and ability in the areas of government affairs, community, and strategic planning and communications.
- Strong interpersonal and motivational skills, including ability and ease in conveying the Getty mission to a wide variety of constituencies.
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonal and written.
- Other duties as assigned.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-13