Head Of Government Relations
IAC builds companies. We are guided by curiosity, a questioning of the status quo, and a desire to invent or acquire new products and brands. From the single seed that started as IAC over two decades ago have emerged 10 public companies and generations of exceptional leaders. We will always evolve, but our basic principle of financially-disciplined opportunism will never change. IAC today operates Vimeo, Dotdash, and Care.com, among many others, and also has majority ownership of ANGI Homeservices, which includes HomeAdvisor, Angie’s List, and Handy. The company is headquartered in New York City and has business operations and satellite offices worldwide.
The Head of Government Relations will have strategic oversight of, and responsibility for, crafting and sustaining IAC’s global public policy operations. The person will be responsible for the development and execution of government relations strategies and the day-to-day management of the government relations at the state, federal, and global levels. The role entails the management of a network of global government affairs consultants, advisors, industry associations, and external lobbyists and political operatives. This position reports to IAC’s General Counsel & Secretary with frequent interaction with the IAC leadership team and will be based in Washington, DC, or NYC.
This role requires significant experience with government and regulatory agencies, political affairs, public policy, management, and industry affairs.
- Lead and develop internal government relations staff (at various IAC businesses)
- Hire and manage external lobbying team and work with internal and external communications team;
- Manage industry and trade association memberships;
- Implement a program to oversee IAC’s political giving efforts;
- Supervise external policy communications;
- Build and maintain political and industry relationships; and
- Work seamlessly with the company’s Legal Leadership Team.
- Bachelor’s degree required; law degree preferred.
- Deep experience with the policymaking process in Washington, DC and state and local governments with a strong record of leading and delivering effective results;
- Proven management and leadership skills, including evidence of crafting and successfully executing significant public-policy campaigns;
- Outstanding judgment and critical thinking with the ability to assimilate various points of view in making strategic decisions about the direction of the company’s overall government affairs programs;
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills;
- Extensive public affairs experience, ideally with Capitol Hill or equivalent experience in State Legislatures;
- Experience with electoral campaigns a plus;
- Experience integrating public policy with business strategy;
- Experience managing lawyers, lobbyists, and other political professionals;
- Excellent judgment and strategic decision-making skill; and
- High proficiency in writing, creative thinking, and multi-tasking
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Strong Executive Presence – Ability to interact effectively at the highest level of an organization and the savvy to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly and convincingly;
- Highly Networked – A skilled internal and external relationship builder, with the ability to construct and maintain strong networks of policy influence within the industry and governing institutions;
- Collaborative – A team player who works across boundaries to establish a shared vision and achieve shared goals with flexibility, dedication; Ability to build relationships, trust, and rapport quickly;
- Commercially Adept – Possess an understanding of business strategy and commercial affairs, and an awareness of how policy debates translate into an impact on a global business;
- Strategic– Ability to focus on the big picture; and
- Diplomatic – Skilled in negotiating and navigating shifting coalitions with industry peers, within trade associations and other stakeholder groups
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-22