Head of Government Relations
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
Skillz is looking for a Head of Government Relations to manage our regulatory affairs, including relationships with US and international government bodies. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of and experience in government advocacy and gaming regulatory matters. You will lead our regulatory advocacy efforts and will collaborate closely with our communications team to position Skillz as the leader in mobile eSports with a foundation in compliance. Are you an independent self-starter, comfortable developing high-level strategy, delving into policy particulars, and brainstorming tactics to partner with policy-makers? If so, this could be the perfect match.
What You Will Do:
- Lead and build a collaborative regulatory team of government affairs professionals, working to advance Skillz’ policy priorities. This team will sit within the broader Legal Team and will collaborate closely with our Corporate Communications Team.
- Assist in developing and implementing Skillz’ legislative and public policy priorities, positions, and strategies, tailoring from market to market
- Lead all aspects of Skillz’ global government affairs strategy, including evaluating risks and opportunities, setting short and long-term priorities, and using diverse tactics such as direct lobbying, thought leadership, and external partnerships to shift the public debate and advance those goals.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges and opportunities
- Oversee comprehensive campaigns in Skillz’ core markets in the US, while developing policy framework for expanding internationally
- Drive initiative with partners in and outside Skillz to frame and reframe issues to advance our agenda
- Educate and advise Skillz senior leadership on policy issues that could impact Skillz and our community in our core markets, keeping other relevant internal partners informed and involved as needed
- Work directly with policymakers, advising them on language for legislation and drafting comments on proposed laws and regulations
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local and regional legislative, executive and administrative offices
- Develop a nuanced understanding of Skillz’ business model, growth strategy, and developer community, to inform identification, prioritization and positioning on global policy issues, ranging from gaming policy to the challenges facing our developer partners
- Work with internal partners to articulate and share Skillz’ position on priority policy issues
- Support identification of strategic targets and oversee Skillz’ efforts to build strong and long-lasting relationships with policymakers
- Support company engagement with government officials, gaming regulatory bodies and lobbying firms as needed
- Collaborate cross functionally with the Product and Revenue teams, to drive high-ROI opportunities and key initiatives
- Represent Skillz at meetings, events, conferences, and panels
- JD from top-tier law school
- 8+ years of Public Policy / Government Relations legal experience including direct interactions with state governments, preferably with a background in gaming regulatory law
- Strong point of view on what makes effective campaigns succeed
- Significant experience working with or within a government agency or organization, ideally at a senior level
- Legislative and regulatory experience working with state and federal government bodies; general government affairs experience internationally
- Government Relations, Risk Management, Public Policy, Professional communicator and outstanding writer, able to quickly synthesize the key points and communicate compelling messages to a wide range of audiences, both internal and external
- Excellent strategy chops, with the ability to assess the landscape, set goals, prioritize tactics, and mobilize a team to effectively execute on them
- You exercise good judgement and discretion
- Experience in developing and managing industry coalition bodies
- A trust in and dedication to Skillz’s vision, mission and values
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-13