Head of Media and Communications
The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
With a focus on our key values of caring for People, Forests and Climate, we are seeking a Head of Media and Communications who responsible for managing, influencing and implementing a comprehensive and integrated media strategy that reaches all company audiences and stakeholders.
Reporting to Enviva’s EVP, Communications, Public & Environmental Affairs, the role will be a key leader and stakeholder in the organization and a trusted part of the senior team.
The role will be responsible for translating the company’s mission and implementing a strategic narrative that is aligned and consistent with the business. The individual will direct, engage and manage Enviva’s communications and media relations, implementing media engagement strategy, positive coverage, crisis response, and other public affairs engagements to deliver Enviva’s message and values. The role be a direct collaborator and influencer to the community relations, government relations and regulatory affairs initiatives, as well brand, digital and social media team.
This role will be part of the 3 member team, including international team members.
- Establish and maintain Enviva as an industry-leading brand and execute the company’s public relations strategy to broaden and enhance brand awareness and allow leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted
- Serve as one of the company’s key spokespersons for all national and international media needs.
- Implement and influence message strategy and manage external communications, including media
- Proactively manage enterprise crisis and negative Implement solutions to counteract negative public and activist sentiments and activities.
- Influence and support the development of editorial content for the media and company’s digital channels that is aligned with and supports the business pr
- Execute multi-faceted, successful strategies for external campaigns and programs that strengthen and position the Enviva brand while championing corporate culture and
- Support Investor Relations to help integrate finance, communication, marketing and securities law compliance to enable the most effective two-way communication between the company, the financial community, shareholders and other constituencies.
- Support Corporate Social Responsibility in promoting Enviva as a leader in sustainability and renewable
- Manage external and public relations consultants and agencies, including international in the EU and Asia
- Build, lead and sustain a positive, accountable, high-performance and outcomes-driven team
- Develop the team and communications function for continual improvement of efficiency and effectiveness and close alignment with Enviva’s business priorities
- Develop and manage a departmental
- An undergraduate degree is required, and an advanced degree in a relevant field is strongly preferred.
- 15+ years of relevant communications experience; 5+ years of people management experience required.
- Strategic thinker, team player and go-getter, with the ability to drive collaboration and innovation within the communications function and the company more broadly.
- Demonstrated experience in crafting effective communications and advocacy strategies and the ability to measure and analyze the effectiveness of these s
- Extensive experience crafting messaging in response to aggressive activist criticism and other forms of crisis communications, with a demonstrated ability to reshape narratives and get in front of negative
- Demonstrated experience serving as a spokesperson, successfully positioning subject matter with the
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; highly developed interpersonal aptitude with an exceptional ability to influence and sharp business ski
- Strong leadership and people management and influence skills, with the demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence effectively at all levels in the
- The ability to work well under pressure and deadlines and the flexibility to change priorities quickly in response to shifting opportunities or n
- Experience working successfully with executive leadership and influence positive outcomes.
- Experience in public relations, corporate communications and/or public companies with a demonstrated track record of successfully managing and developing teams..
- Proven achievement in leadership, team building and strategy creation within a public affairs function, preferably in a high-growth
- Unimpeachable professional ethics, integrity, discretion and confidentiality
- An understanding of a broader energy sector, renewable energy industry, environmental policies, environmental and social impact of manufacturing, economic development, and public dynamics of high growth companies. Understanding of the forestry/ wood products sector is ideal but not required.
Anticipated travel to Enviva’s facilities in the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast and internationally to Europe and Japan. Estimated travel 25%.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-18