Head of Media Relations
Cigna is seeking a seasoned, accomplished and highly motivated senior leader for our dynamic Media Relations team. This individual will be responsible for the planning and execution of external communications strategies, programs and tactics that promote, protect and enhance Cigna’s capabilities and reputation by effectively communicating with national and local media, and other stakeholders. To be successful in this position, the individual in this role will manage reactive media, adopt a journalistic approach to story mining, storytelling and connecting dots and then executing on proactive, strategic media relations.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for creating and implementing a media relations program, aligned with business strategy, that will favorably position Cigna and its business units for growth while maintaining its reputation.
- Maintain strong working relationships with national and local business/financial and trade media across channels (print, broadcast and digital/social).
- Act as a key spokesperson for Cigna with media at the local, regional and national level. This includes drafting and deploying media statements and releases, as well as in-person engagements.
- Play a leading role in shaping and drafting company responses to key regulatory and policy issues, in partnership with Government Affairs.
- Identify issues on the horizon that may impact the company and prepare a coordinated crisis response plan.
- Partner with and convene others across the organization to develop original storylines and media pitches that generate coverage to showcase Cigna’s innovative solutions, value proposition and mission. Work closely with the Social Media team to ensure we are maximizing every piece of earned coverage.
- Manage financial related media relations, working closely with Investor Relations from media perspective on key investor meetings and events, the Annual Report, etc.
- Build CEO media relations strategies and programming in coordination with the thought leadership and CEO communications functions.
- Establish strong and collaborative working relations with other leaders within Communications and across the organization (i.e. Marketing, Government Affairs, Foundation, business segments, etc.).
- Monitor and evaluate results of communications programs, using key metrics to track progress and insights for continuous improvement.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Offer:
- 10-15+ years proven experience working in public relations, communications, public affairs or media relations in an agency or at large, diverse Fortune 500 companies.
- Deep understanding of media relations strategies and tactics in the health care industry, with an existing network of top tier reporter relationships.
- Must have well-developed relationships with key reporters and journalists.
- A strong track record in providing strategic communications counsel to C-level executives.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications or related discipline.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media; ability to write for a variety of audiences.
- Experience with social media influencer engagement, content campaigns and media coverage amplification.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies and strategies can be utilized.
- Evidence of keen insight into the integration between business and communications’ objectives.
- Tact and discretion to work with confidential information and Cigna employees at all levels.
- Experience working in a global, highly-matrixed, deadline-sensitive environment.
- Proven ability to manage various types of crises.
- Ability for work nights and weekends as the needs of the business dictate.
- Influence and coordination skills to work with other internal areas and outside vendors to meet deadlines.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output. Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you’ll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people’s lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require an accommodation based on your physical or mental disability please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-27