Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Communications
At Cerebral, we’re on a mission to improve access to long-term, high-quality mental health care for all. We believe that everyone everywhere deserves to get the care they need. And how are we doing this? By making care convenient and accessible and tackling the stigma that surrounds mental illness.
Since launching in January 2020, we have gone from a team of 5 to over 3,000 team members across the United States and in the United Kingdom working hand-in-hand to transform access to high-quality mental health care at scale. Our team will not stop building, growing, and iterating until everyone, everywhere can access high-quality mental health care without the high cost, long wait times, and stigma. Simone Biles, world champion gymnast, and mental health advocate joined Cerebral as our Chief Impact Officer to help further our mission.
We are the fastest mental health company ever to achieve unicorn status, having raised over $462 million and achieving a valuation of $4.8 billion in under two years. Cerebral’s investors include SoftBank Venture Fund 2, Silver Lake, Access Industries, Bill Ackman, Chris Burch, WestCap, and Oak HC/FT.
It is just the beginning for Cerebral, and we need your help as we transform access to high-quality mental health care in the United States and beyond.
As our Head of Communications, you will lead the implementation of the overall communications strategy at Cerebral, and expand the reach of our story. You will own proactive management of company communications including corporate narrative, messaging, media relations, executive presentations, website, digital engagement, social media strategy, and content direction. In this role, you’ll oversee a team of communications professionals, sit on the executive team, and work closely with leaders at Cerebral, including our co-founder and CEO.
Who you are
- 8+ years of experience in Public Relations, Communications, or a related function – preferably at a high-growth company
- 3+ years of experience managing a team and PR agency partners
- Degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related discipline – bachelor’s required, master’s ideal
- Effective communication skills with an executive presence
- Experience driving and managing a variety of complex internal and external communications programs
- Experienced with building and scaling communications initiatives across corporate functions
- Highly organized with deadlines and details, able to manage multiple high impact and/or time-sensitive projects while maintaining quality on other important workstreams
- A strong storyteller, able to distill content and support it with data
- Proven track record of creating solid relationships with internal/external business partners and media contacts
- Experience advising senior leadership and internal partners on both internal and external communications
- Self-motivated individual with strong judgment and ability to make decisions
How your skills and passion will come to life at Cerebral:
- Develop an integrated communications vision for Cerebral and lead all communications efforts, including strategic planning content, events (e.g., quarterly all-hands and retreats), performance management, and other major announcements
- Build and lead a comprehensive communications function, using external communications strategies and tactics to position Cerebral as the leader in mental health care, creating positive awareness, perception, and influence for the company
- Identify internal and external communications opportunities, emerging issues, and unlock effective communications solutions; define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Lead proactive and reactive issues management, crafting statements, and managing the communications flow with legal, investor relations, marketing, and other relevant stakeholders
- Serve as eyes and ears across the organization to identify stories worth telling, areas of concern, and opportunities to better communicate our vision and strategy
- Partner with leadership to craft compelling materials for internal and external communications, including press and conferences.
- Write, edit, and distribute company-wide communications on multiple topics, from updated company policies to new product features.
- Create a short and long-term internal and external communications strategy, using data to inform recommendations
- Provide strategic feedback that shapes how we build our culture as a company
- Ideate and execute strategies and tactics with measurable results to build both consumer and industry awareness
- Be a thought partner across leadership on relevant communications initiatives
- Build, lead, and manage a high-performing team
- Undertake additional communications-related responsibilities as they arise
Who we are (our company values):
- Client-first focus – Relentless focus on improving client experience & the quality of care
- Results and data-driven – Reach goals by making data-led decisions with measurable results
- Ownership – Accountable for hitting our goals & delivering on commitments
- High velocity – Strong bias for action, enabling us to quickly adapt & win in a fast-changing market
- Mission-driven experimentation – Iteratively experiment with new ideas, products, & services to help advance our mission
- Lead with empathy – Demonstrate the same level of compassion for one another as we show for our clients
- Deep, hands-on leadership – Leaders stay connected to the details of their operations & believe no task is beneath them
What we offer:
- Mission-driven impact:
- Shape the future of the #1 largest and fastest growing online mental health care company in the world
- Build a platform that is improving the lives and well-being of hundreds of thousands of people (and counting)
- Join a community of high achievers who have a passion for promoting mental health, including our Chief Impact Officer, Simone Biles!
- Path to develop & grow:
- Bi-annual performance reviews & opportunities for promotions – as Cerebral grows, so should you. We build your goals together and forge a career path that is right for you
- Remote-first model: Work virtually from anywhere in the US
- Competitive compensation & benefits:
- Total compensation includes equity/stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and 401k provided to all employees
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage taking the time you need to relax and recharge
- Top-tier wellness benefits and perks, including bi-quarterly mental health days (8 per year), No-Meeting-Wednesdays, holistic monthly wellness stipend, and access to on-demand health & wellness content
- $200 WFH reimbursement
- Culture & connectivity:
- Virtual social events (e.g., happy hours) enable us to build a sense of community and connect on a more personal level
- Monthly peer-to-peer recognition allowance via Bonusly allows team members to reward one another for values-aligned contributions
- Optional in-person company retreats provide an opportunity to augment team-building and celebrate our successes together
Cerebral is committed to bringing together humans from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our workplace.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-10