Head of Communications
Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
Currently, there are over 60 channels included in our basic package. They include many popular cable networks, includingA&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix. There is a lot more programming on the way.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
We’re seeking a seasoned Head of Communications to join our Philo team driving corporate communications for one of the Bay Area’s most innovative and forward-thinking technology companies. This role is based in San Francisco. We are looking for a talented and collaborative PR professional to provide confident, experience-based expertise in B2C media relations (and experience with B2B), story and content development, executive conference participation, and overall communications planning. The candidate will be proficient and enthusiastic about all aspects of media relations and story development (traditional and digital media channels), and familiar in the television and corporate tech industry and its impact.
- Leading the research, planning and development of comprehensive PR campaigns and announcements
- Ability to execute a data-driven strategy through communications to increase the awareness and reach of Philo with consumers and within our industry
- Demonstrated expertise in media relations, including creating and driving outreach plans, message development, and effective pitching and coordination
- Generate proactive opportunities and campaigns to keep Philo top of mind with media and analysts
- Bring established relationships with key consumer and entertainment print, digital and broadcast media; business and technology trade press; and industry analysts
- Possess an ability to think like a journalist to develop compelling stories angles
- Provide ongoing strategic recommendations as to what industry conferences and speaking events in which executives should participate, as well as awards for Philo campaigns and teams
- Regularly track and digest industry trends, stories and insights to proactively identify relevant learnings and new ideas
- Consistently produce high quality written content, including internal correspondence, communications recommendations, press materials, BOD presentations, quarterly plans, etc.
- Create and achieve quarterly Objectives and Key Results
- Manage agency on campaign-specific programs
Internal Stakeholder Management
- Serve as the daily executive internal contact; address issues thoughtfully and effectively
- Represent the communications function of the company at the leadership level at Ops, All-hands and BOD meetings, etc.
- Multi-task and juggle multiple projects at once, independently and within the team
- Oversee performance of projects, ensuring work quality, consistency and deadline adherence
- Be detail oriented, and develop an understanding of the business and Philo’s brand
- Help set measurable program goals and manage against them
- Manage Communications Manager and additional communication consultants
- Motivate teamwork by working closely with overall team and peers and by ensuring senior team members meet approval deadlines and stay on track with deliverables
- Commit to continuous learning and leadership development
The right candidate loves TV, understands the ever-evolving landscape of the new TV industry, is fearless, resourceful, tenacious, and has an understanding of traditional and non-traditional PR tactics and the media landscape. Basically you are committed to driving great leadership and results for Philo while building great relationships and will roll up their sleeves to thrive in the growth of an exciting company!
- At least 10+ years of relevant experience in PR and/or related fields; previous agency with corporate and/or technology industry experience is strongly preferred
- An understanding of the integral role PR plays in supporting a company’s overall objectives, and familiarity with best practice communications strategies, tactics and PR tools
- A pulse on today’s ever-changing media, entertainment and business landscape; existing track record/contacts with key consumer and entertainment press; a bonus if specific campaign results targeting multicultural audiences
- Creative brand storytelling prowess and strong media relations, research, writing and editing skills
- Excellent written skills and a strong attention to detail, demonstrated experience crafting newsworthy pitches, releases, and contributed articles
- Strong presentation and verbal communications skills with a collaborative spirit
- Experience leveraging data-driven research/analysis to drive strategic communications programs
- 3+ Consumer media references, as well as past employment and partner references
Projected Start Date: ASAP (Beginning remotely)
Location: San Francisco, CA (Relocation stipend available)
Reports to: Head of Marketing and COO
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid maternal/parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2,000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5,000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- Remote working (and on-site) company-wide activities including game nights, Thirsty Thursdays, craft parties, etc.
- And much more!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-10