Head of Policy
Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with artificially intelligent systems. For our team, no idea is too ambitious. We work to make possible what looks out of reach today. We have assembled a high performing, empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission and living our values. Our culture of intelligent, kind and thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding. We are backed by premier Silicon Valley venture capital investor Andreessen Horowitz and have started shipping product.
We are seeking a senior leader to serve as Shied AI’s Head of Policy and Government Relations. In this role, you will work with our Chief Marketing Officer and executive team to shape and define Shield AI’s voice in Washington on policy and regulatory issues. You will help further AI for maneuver priorities and discussion in Washington and take a lead role managing the company’s relationships on Capitol Hill, with the administration and with key industry voices.
What you’ll do:
- Lead, develop, and execute strategies for engaging Washington officials on the AI for defense-related topics relevant to Shield AI’s business.
- Shape Shield AI’s R&D and product outreach strategy with Capitol Hill and across the administration.
- Establish and share fluency on a wide variety of AI for defense-related issues and help further Shield AI’s voice as a trusted partner.
- Advocate expertly for Shield AI on key policy matters.
- Communicate effectively with government officials, internal colleagues, business partners, and merchant associations.
- Grow and manage a team of government relations and policy professionals who can further the Shield AI voice internally across teams and externally with key leaders and stakeholders.
Projects that you might work on:
- Creating Capitol Hill outreach strategy based on legislative priorities.
- Creating a forum series to bring AI experts from SAI to the Hill to meet and talk with staff and Members, create programming for Hill staff.
People we’re looking for have the following required education and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Public Administration, Business or a related field with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Government Relations or Affairs experience.
- Experience on Capitol Hill with demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the legislative process.
- Expertise in Washington think tank, legislative, and administration landscapes.
- Experience within National Security Sector.
Preferred qualifications and competencies:
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Public Administration, or Business.
- Understanding of the NDS, focusing on emerging DoD.
- You are a creative and strategic thinker with the ability to think outside the box.
- You are patient, you are kind, you have poise, and you don’t shy away from delivering excellent work even while facing tight deadlines.
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others.
- You are detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize workload effectively, and thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
If you’re interested in being part of a team that works hard, loves to have fun, and is working on some truly meaningful, challenging work; apply now and we can chat further!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-22