Head Pharmaceuticals Federal Affairs
Supervisor’s Name/Title: Vice President, Federal Government Affairs
Division/Department: Federal Government Affairs
Scope: Federal Janssen Pharmaceutical and biologics portfolio focused on leadership in public policy, legislation, advocacy and political issues and management of the federal pharmaceuticals team of lobbyists and policy professionals. Primary liaison with the North America Janssen business and primary Federal liaison with the Pharmaceuticals, Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) and the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO).
Location: Washington, DC
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- Manage and develop a growing Federal Affairs pharmaceutical lobbying team and relevant partners to support Janssen priority initiatives, product portfolio and to deliver policy/legislative/political outcomes to key internal and externals business leaders and stakeholders.
- Will serve as a member of the Federal Affairs (cross sector and Enterprise) Leadership Team.
- Lead efforts to identify business risks and opportunities, and to develop & execute legislative/regulatory/government solutions & strategies that maximize the value of the Janssen Pharmaceutical business and US based industry initiatives.
- Deliver coordinated Federal government affairs initiatives that advance the growth, access and innovation priorities of the Janssen North America business and relevant partners and organizations.
- Develop and lead coordinated effort regarding overall Janssen government affairs advocacy strategy and Federal legislation and policies impacting US and global markets. This role will engage and collaborate with critical partners to contribute to the J&J Government Affairs & Policy (GA&P) Global Strategic Framework pillars and Enterprise Focus Areas related to Janssen including commercial and R&D and functional leaders.
- Serve as primary Johnson & Johnson government affairs and policy point of contact with the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association (PhRMA) and other industry-based trade associations, coalitions and life-science organizations.
- Lead federal team of external consultants related to pharmaceutical issues to secure an extension of the J&J team of internal lobbyists.
- Serve as the liaison and GA&P member on the Janssen North America Leadership Team; orchestrate collaboration with key internal business partners in Global Health Policy, law, communications, commercial and R&D leaders within Janssen.
RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPAL DUTIES (Essential Functions)
Strategic Leadership Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and direct federal lobbying activities in support of the corporation’s legislative and policy priorities related to the Janssen Pharmaceuticals business.
- Lead a team of lobbyists who have daily responsibility for executing legislative and regulatory efforts to shape the external environment and to influence decisions by policy makers and elected officials.
- Represent the corporation both internally and externally on federal affairs matters relating to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Food and Drug Administration, congressional relations, Administration outreach, relevant trade associations (primarily PhRMA and BIO) and affiliated patient and provider stakeholder organizations.
- Lead internal and external government affairs activities related to the J&J’s pharmaceuticals businesses, including all the disease priority areas and serve as a senior liaison between Janssen and J&J GA&P.
- Serve as an active leader and member of the Federal Affairs Leadership team.
- Collaborate with specific franchises and represent the J&J enterprise on numerous broader-based healthcare issues and activities and lead efforts to support the GA&P Global Strategic Framework and Enterprise Focus Areas.
- Develop and manage health care policy and corporate priority assignments within US Government Affairs as determined by manager to include building and maintaining relationships with identified stakeholders i.e.: congressional caucuses, patient, provider and other professional societies and stakeholder organizations.
- Direct external policy consultants, engage and manage key stakeholder industry coalitions, and collaborate with J&J Global Health Policy and State Government Affairs.
- Key problem-solving skill in developing communication strategies and actions. Requires high degree of independent judgment and decision making.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in government, government affairs, healthcare policy and/or public policy required.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree with concentration in healthcare policy, law, political science, communications or business administration is strongly preferred.
- A proven record of success in healthcare policy development and advocacy is required with preferred experience in biopharmaceuticals, life sciences and industry relations.
- Thorough knowledge of Federal government policy and legislative process is required.
- The candidate must have a successful record and significant experience managing a team including team and individual talent development, recruitment, and retention.
- Strong ability to manage internal colleagues and external policy consultants, engage key stakeholder industry coalitions, and collaborate with state government affairs is required.
- Familiarity and experience with the pharmaceutical industry, trade associations, congressional staff, patient and provider groups and other industry stakeholders required.
- The candidate must be a self-starter with exceptional initiative and ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- The candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to present regularly to internal and external senior leaders and government officials.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time to domestic and on occasion, international destinations.
Experience and functional competencies:
- Experience identifying & successfully advancing public policies that promote & protect Janssen Pharmaceuticals related interests
- Demonstrated experience in people management, team leadership and organizational excellence, both direct and indirect
- Command for and demonstrated success in complex, cross-functional organizations
- Hold a thorough understanding of fundamental principles with the legislative and regulatory making processes, as well as the geopolitical environment
- Possess superior verbal and written communication skills, including ability to develop strong relationships with diverse individuals/groups.
- Demonstrate an affinity for processing complex information and summarizing it concisely in writing and/or verbally in a professional manner and in a time sensitive environment
- Demonstrated success working with numerous internal and external stakeholders in a value-based and Credo compliant manner
- Proven ability to lead and manage others in a Credo based environment
- Executive presence with the ability to quickly establish credibility across all levels of the business and with external customers
Required Leadership Competencies:
- Live Our Credo: Demonstrates and inspires the behaviors that reinforce Our Johnson & Johnson Credo.
- Connect: Cultivate meaningful external relationships and partnerships outside of J&J, adding value and insights for the enterprise; insight-driven to proactively uncover critical unmet needs and turn them into new opportunities.
- Shape – Translate insights into innovative and viable products or solutions, creating value; challenges the status quo and leads change management activities, creating positive change; takes and properly manages risks, while maintaining the highest standards of quality and compliance, contributing to value creation
- Lead – Take ownership for talent acquisition, performance and development in a way that enhances the performance and development of self and others; maximizes and leverages diverse perspectives, backgrounds and talent to generate innovative ideas or solutions to address organizational challenges; engages in and encourages others to have transparent and constructive conversations and encourages others, contributing to a high-performing organization
- Deliver – empower people to act with speed, agility, and accountability, enabling them to achieve organizational goals and strategies; makes decisions and takes actions based on a global and enterprise-wide mindset that adds value across the enterprise; balances short- and long-term strategic choices, positions the organization to achieve both short-term and expected future results
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job; it is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. This document is not a contract for employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-06