Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Public Affairs, Office of the CEO
Common Sense (commonsense.org) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents, caregivers, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The Head of Public Affairs will be the senior communications strategist for the Executive Office of Common Sense Media. They will work with the Office of the CEO and senior leadership to develop, manage, and implement a top-level communications strategy for the Executive team that amplifies and enhances the brand of the CEO and organization.
In this capacity, the Head of Public Affairs will proactively develop new, high-profile media, marketing, and thought leadership opportunities for the CEO and Executive leadership, and will also collaborate with our existing Marketing and Communications teams. They will advise the CEO on day-to-day public affairs and communications strategy across broadcast and digital media to advance the organization’s profile and impact as the leading advocacy organization for children and families in the digital world.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Founder & CEO
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Lead and implement the overall communications and public affairs strategy of the Office of the CEO and Executive leadership team.
- Elevate the brand and profile of the CEO through day-to-day media relations and thought leadership events, while proactively shaping other major public speaking opportunities.
- Manage fast-paced, strategic response to breaking news to highlight the CEO’s thought leadership.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with leading media outlets on behalf of the CEO. Leverage media partnerships for public releases that advance the organization’s work and mission.
- Ideate, develop, and execute new platform ideas for the CEO, such as audio or video podcasts, TV, radio, or other media opportunities that complement Office of the CEO initiatives, as well as the mission of Common Sense.
- Oversee the CEO’s social media, content, and messaging strategy, including for major initiatives led out of the Office of the CEO that intersect with Advocacy and other programs.
- Draft statements, opinion editorials, speeches, and other long-form media on behalf of the CEO.
- Collaborate with Common Sense Marketing and Communications leadership and staff, as well as other members of the senior leadership team, to ensure that the CEO’s work advances the mission of Common Sense.
- Collaborate with the Office of the CEO to implement the communications and event plans above, including preparing talking points and other supporting material for the CEO.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 10+ years’ experience in public affairs or communications-related leadership roles, including demonstrated communications thought leadership.
- Demonstrated experience leading high-level communications efforts with or on behalf of executives, public figures, or senior leaders.
- Strong network of relationships with top-tier reporters, editors, and other stakeholders in broadcast and digital media.
- Creative use of and experience with new media technologies preferred.
- Experience with events, conferences, campaigns, or high-level policy and thought leadership initiatives.
- Familiarity with communications or advocacy in policy, tech and media, or related fields is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, in tandem with the ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner. Extensive, successful writing and editing experience with print and online media.
- Experience and comfort with interacting across levels of an organization internally and externally, including senior executives.
- Four-year degree required; graduate degree strongly preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with a great team of talented, passionate developers and product people who have worked together for a long time and love what they’re doing.
- Competitive health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work-life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal-opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Job posted: 2023-01-28