Head of Public Affairs – US
About the job
Galderma, the world’s largest independent global dermatology company, was created in 1981 and is now present in over 100 countries with an extensive product portfolio of prescription medicines, aesthetics solutions and consumer care products. The company partners with health care practitioners around the world to meet the skin health needs of people throughout their lifetime. Galderma is a leader in research and development of scientifically-defined and medically-proven solutions for the skin. For more information, please visit www.galderma.com
This role can be located in Texas, or Washington DC area.
The Head of Public Affairs – US will serve as a senior leader in the US organization and be responsible for charting and executing upon the strategic public affairs road map for the company. This position will maintain a deep understanding of the political and regulatory climate across verticals and issue areas, as well as provide direction and strategy for developing and maintaining the company’s corporate reputation, image and identity. This role will work to solve complex public affairs challenges, leveraging agency partners and integrated communications tools and platforms.
- Direct, develop, and drive the company’s US public affairs strategy to promote, enhance, and protect the public image and reputation of the company and its management.
- Oversee strategic campaigns centered around corporate, regulatory, and public affairs issues inclusive of media strategy, product launches, events, and corporate reputation/crisis issues.
- Provide guidance and opportunities for the company’s external executive visibility and thought leadership, as well as community engagement; possibly serving as a spokesperson/representing the company:
- Works with management to recognize external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies of support.
- Acts as an ambassador for the company to the media and relevant external constituents.
- Serves as a spokesperson and/or lead contact on external interactions that help promote and/or positively impact the company’s image;
- Actively engaging, cultivating and managing media relationships and pharmaceutical trade press relationships.
- Drafting, reviewing and preparing company press releases; and
- Designing and/or updating, and maintaining a company branding tool kit.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key external influencers, including but not limited to elected and non-elected officials, members of the media, corporate partners, etc.
- Cultivate deep and trusted relationships with executives, customers and partners that support the strategic plan for growth.
- Advises the President, General Counsel and other company management on any ad-hoc public relations and communications matters that may arise.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science, marketing, public relations, journalism or related field is required.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- Twelve (12) or more years of progressive professional experience in one or more of the following: political campaigns, government relations, public affairs, issue advocacy, reputation, corporate communications or public relations is required.
- Extensive experience working to solve complex public affairs challenges leveraging agency partners and integrated communications tools and platforms.
- Deep understanding of the political and regulatory climate across verticals and issue areas.
- Experience in building relationships and working effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience working directly, and in a leadership role, with the C-suite level.
- Demonstrates “situational diplomacy” and an appreciation for the differences involved in executing an effective public relations strategy. Leads teams through effective communications, clear direction and steadfast follow-through while being hands-on and self-sufficient.
- Possesses superior writing skills, with the ability to develop and edit high-quality materials such as communications plans, position papers, fact sheets, news and online media materials, bylined articles, trend analysis summaries, executive correspondence and presentations.
- Ability to spearhead initiatives and translate plans into specific actions across a team and execute with urgency. Has a knack for building trusted relationships.
- Comfortable working within a collaborative business environment
- Embodies and practices world-class ethical standards. Creates an environment of trust by acting with fairness and consistency, keeping commitments and providing rationale for decisions.
- Ability to contribute to highly integrated teams through effective communication, clear direction and steadfast follow-through. Earns the confidence of partners through sound judgments in an environment of shifting initiatives, priorities and political forces.
- Highly motivated, seasoned and self-assured leader with high confidence in professional skills and the ability to drive decisions with equanimity. Adept at reading a room and people in order to be persuasive and compelling.
Other Important Information
The work environment characteristics and physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee may or may not be frequently/or occasionally required to:
- Stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
- Climb stairs or ride elevators.
- Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Use close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Manipulate keyboard or otherwise access computer, telephone and hand-held devices.
- Be exposed to outside weather conditions while going in and out of office buildings.
- Be exposed to moderate noise level usually in warehouse settings.
- Be exposed to moving equipment, mechanical parts, and/or high places; or moving between air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned environments.
- Overnight travel is required
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Job posted: 2021-08-17