Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Public Policy
About the job
Head of Public Policy
Riot is one of the largest public Bitcoin mining and hosting companies operating today. Riot’s strategic focus is to be a vertically-integrated Bitcoin mining company, and it is actively expanding and improving its Bitcoin mining operations, through industrial-scale infrastructure development at its Texas-based mining and hosting facilities, and latest-generation miner procurement.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Head of Public Policy to join our extremely high growth, NASDAQ-listed company. This critical role will develop and drive aligned policy priorities and principles for the company. Reporting directly to the CEO of Riot, the Head of Public Policy will interact with local, state, and federal legislative bodies and government agencies to represent and protect Riot Blockchain’s business plans and interests. This position can be based in Washington, D.C., or any of the three Riot offices – Austin, TX; Costa Mesa, CA; or Denver, Colorado.
- Lead Riot’s Public Policy to establish a vision, develop specific principles and strategies, communicate for internal alignment across company stakeholders, and execute to achieve short and long-term objectives.
- Monitor and anticipate changes in the Bitcoin policy environment and advise Riot leadership of potential economic and business impact.
- Develop financial impact assessments for key legislation and regulatory changes in collaboration with internal stakeholders to shape our policy and advocacy strategies. Conduct research to support policy positions.
- Maintain and nurture strategic bipartisan relationships with local, state, and federal government officials and their staff.
- Develop strong business relationships with senior management and provide timely updates on critical policy issues that impact business objectives.
- Assist senior management and leadership with strategic planning for known and potential regulatory activities related to Riot’s business and the Bitcoin mining industry.
- Establish and manage relationships with Political Action Committees and work with senior leadership to develop internal processes of a political giving strategy.
- Grow and maintain diverse coalitions in support of policy issues and business priorities.
- Collaborate with local grassroots and industry advocates to build areas of common interest.
- Engage as Riot’s liaison with select trade associations and help establish Riot senior executives as thought leaders within these organizations.
- Collaborate with industry advocates to build areas of common interest.
- Prepare Riot executives for testifying before government committees in support of Riot and the Bitcoin mining industry.
- Introduce legislative and public policy changes that will support company operations.
- Partner with legal counsel to ensure compliance on regulatory matters and in drafting comments during the rulemaking process.
- This position will require significant domestic travel commitments, up to 80% may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Act with the highest integrity, courage, and humility.
- Committed to helping senior executives lead the policy conversation.
- Interest in learning about Bitcoin and proof-of-work mining.
- Display a deep understanding and experience with public policy issues in energy and technology.
- Outstanding influencing and persuasion experience with internal and external audiences.
- Proven ability to discuss business critical information at highest levels of management and to align multiple stakeholder views.
- Display organizational leadership and management experience, ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage various projects/roles in an evolving environment.
- Guide with business sense, diplomacy, and cultural sensitivity; skilled in building and maintaining trust with stakeholders.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Masters-level degree or a Juris Doctor is preferred.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in advocacy or public policy with strong government contacts at the federal level.
- Experience working with U.S. legislative, executive, and regulatory federal government officials; prior experience working with state or local government officials in Texas is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience
- Equity rewards (RSAs)
- Opportunity for discretionary annual cash bonus
- 401k plan with company matching
- Great medical, vision, and dental plans to choose from
- Long-term and Short-term disability
- Additional benefit options (Employee Assistance Program, Pet Insurance, and more)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Generous PTO and Paid Holidays
- A fun company culture with tremendous growth opportunities!
Call 303-794-2000 for more information on how to apply
Job posted: 2022-11-09