Head of Public Policy, Work and Economic Policy
About the Role
As Public Policy Senior Manager (Work and Economic Policy), you are Uber’s connection between the market-leading technology that provides flexible, reliable economic opportunities for over 3 million people around the world and the unique and growing audience of policymakers, regulators, researchers, key opinion formers and the broader public. You are a thought leader and conduit for Uber’s public affairs and government relations around the world.
You will lead global policy development on Uber’s work model and practices with a focus on educating and building support with key policy and research stakeholders, as well as working with the business teams to deliver a unique and high-quality work platform. You will lead the development of and execute a strategy to make Uber a leader in the future of work debate, globally. Uber’s work model and quality work agenda focus on four global pillars: Access, Flexibility, Protection, and Opportunity. You will drive strategic policy development and narrative construction, working across all pillars and contribute to the delivery of the global strategy.
You will spearhead the development and execution of a strategy to make Uber a leader in the ‘future of work’. You will work with cross-functional partners to develop and strengthen Uber’s work model to deliver flexibility and security in the interests of our partners around the globe and to further long-term business goals. Your role will also include developing partnerships and seeding research to advocacy for aspirational policy positions and work with the business to deliver foundational outcomes. Your role will include proactive seeking out new thought and business partners to further Uber’s reform and program leadership efforts. You will also lead policy product counsel on marketplace initiatives.
You will own the development of efforts to bring a greater understanding of Uber’s work model amongst policymakers and regulators. This includes working with policy and operational stakeholders throughout the world to develop globally scalable collateral (including reform proposals from other markets), build ongoing third-party partnerships, execute user engagement campaigns, webinars and training sessions, and facilitating user feedback.
You will work with other public policy leads and partner with the insurance and marketing teams principally as well as legal, finance, compliance, safety & trust, and policy teams to establish Uber as a leader in the independent, flexible work. You will raise awareness to build support for Uber’s leadership as a technology company in this space.
What You’ll Do
- Own, iterate and execute the policy strategy in relation to the work – present and future – as well as in relation to managing a team on topics such as work, tax, competition, regulatory reform and financial services
- Work with Uber’s teams to develop and deliver principled positions in relation to social institutions, community expectations, and business commitments as well as initiate new programs to build credibility and grow reputation
- Lead product counsel on policy issues in relation to work issues including coordinating efforts across the Central policy and local government relations/public affairs teams
- Manage relationships with external partners, including:
- Regular check-ins with key stakeholders to develop content and key exposures, measure sentiment and identify areas where we can improve
- Organizing and managing transparency-related events, roundtables, and user forums including independent work education seminars in each major mega-region
- Demonstrate thought leadership in relation to hard policy issues such as modernizing social protection for independent workers, lifelong learning, occupational licensing reforms, better targeting of transitional support, investing in human capital, stronger credentialing and job-matching to name a few
- Own external communications with the policy and academic community broadly and specifically in the areas of focus. In this capacity, you might:
- Facilitate a recurring publication, webinar series or roundtable highlighting specific success stories, use cases and/or future product functionality
- Develop partnerships and support research to help drive broad-scale integration of our policy efforts especially in relation to taxonomy, data sharing, measurement and validation
- Arrange policy conversations and long-term partnerships with third parties
What You’ll Need
- At least 8 years of experience in government, law, labor markets, labor policy and history, competition policy, digital marketplaces, consumer protection, project management
- Strong interpersonal (verbal + written) skills
- Track record of project design, development, and execution as well as content creation
- Significant analytical experience, including the ability to analyze data to identify trends and implications, and ability to construct forward-looking models that can inform policy positions
- Ability to drive cross-functionally and build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in the technology sector is preferred and experience in a marketplace business is strongly desired
- Advanced degrees (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) preferred
About the Team
The Central Public Policy Team has a global remit and is responsible for developing solutions to policy opportunities and regulatory challenges in issue domains that impact on Uber’s global business. Working closely with on-the-ground Public Affairs and Government Relations and cross-functional partners we develop best in class policy solutions backed by rigorous research and data. The Central Public Policy Team also provides strategic advice and guidance to Tech and Product organizations as well as key executives in the execution of Uber’s business goals.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-11