Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Public Policy
San Francisco, CA
Embark Trucks is America’s Longest-Running Self-Driving Truck Program and is bringing autonomous freight mainstream. As covered by the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, Forbes, TechCrunch and and other outlets, Embark went public via a ~$5 billion SPAC deal in November 2021, and is listed on Nasdaq under the symbol EMBK. Currently, Embark moves freight between LA and Phoenix using our purpose-built transfer hubs. Embark has aligned itself with truck manufacturers, shippers, and carriers to integrate our technology into the freight ecosystem, pursuing a business model where fleets own and operate Embark trucks. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous vehicles and our team is looking to grow.
We are looking for a seasoned and strategic leader to head up Embark’s public policy team, which advocates for policies that enable the safe and timely deployment of Level 4 automated freight trucking. You will have a unique opportunity to help shape the future of self-driving trucks, solving leading-edge policy and regulatory challenges that will dramatically impact the $700+ billion freight trucking industry.
The Head of Public Policy will report directly to the Head of Corporate Affairs and be responsible for the development and implementation of policy and regulatory strategies to support Embark’s 2024 commercialization timeline. The Head of Public Policy will develop and execute Embark’s policy strategies to support commercialization of autonomous trucks by 2024, including managing Embark’s Federal Policy Lead, Policy Counsel, as well as various external consultants, and managing future growth of the team. The Head of Public Policy will also work closely with Embark’s Chief Legal Officer and Legal Team, Safety Team, Operations Team, Engineering Team, as well as other Embark teams as needed.
- Define objectives and oversee execution of Embark’s policy strategies to support the commercialization of L4 autonomous trucks by 2024 in the southern United States, including federal and state strategic components across regulatory, legislative, and law enforcement domains.
- Continue to scale Embark’s Policy Team by identifying needs and developing budgets, hiring plans, and team structure.
- Lead Embark’s Policy Team in deepening Embark’s existing relationships with federal and state government officials to advocate for policies that support the safe and timely testing and commercial deployment of Level 4 automated freight trucking.
- Work with Embark’s Engineering, Safety, Operations, and Legal teams to develop and present Embark’s safety case for driver-out operation of L4 commercial vehicles to public sector stakeholders.
- Provide leadership in industry groups including Self-Driving Coalition, Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, American Trucking Associations, and others to support key Embark and AV industry strategic initiatives. Supervise Policy Team in drafting, analyzing, and editing proposed legislative language and public comments in response to RFI/RFCs, ANPRMs, and NPRMsRepresent Embark’s policy work to a broad range of stakeholders including investors, partners, and customers.
Your background should include:
- 12+ years of public policy experience, including private sector experience managing a policy advocacy team or function
- Deep understanding of both procedural and political aspects of the federal and state legislative process, especially as it relates to transportation policyExcellent networking skills, including knowledge of and existing relationships with key federal and state transportation and/or technology policy stakeholders
- Proven track record of building honest, trusting relationships with stakeholders to successfully advocate for policy goals
- Proven ability to lead high performance teams to achieve complex goals on tight timelines.
- Ability to understand technical information and convey it effectively and accurately to non-technical audiences.
- Ability or interest to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment; demonstrated commitment to honesty and speaking truth to power
Your background could include:
- A JD or Master of Public Policy degreeManaging a national or global policy team at a publicly traded company in the technology or transportation industries
- Experience working with/for state legislative or congressional committees or federal/state agencies with specific jurisdiction on transportation, trucking, commerce, or technology issuesExperience managing policy advocacy campaigns or lobbyist relationships
- Knowledge of the self-driving industry and/or the trucking industry policy environment, including familiarity with relevant standards, regulations, and exemption authorities (FMVSS, FMCSR, USDOT AV guidance, etc.)
- Knowledge of commercial vehicle inspection and enforcement issues
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Embark Trucks, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2021-12-23