Dropbox simplifies the way people work together. Hundreds of millions of people around the world use Dropbox to work the way they want, on any device, wherever they go. As we scale our global brand, there’s plenty of space for you to grow alongside us and simplify life for millions of people globally.
We’re building a Public Policy, Government Affairs & Social Impact team at Dropbox that evangelizes Dropbox’s mission of simplifying the way people work together and protecting our users. We aim to promote an open and vibrant digital society and to advance user privacy and data security.
As Dropbox’s Head of Public Policy, you will have lead responsibility for developing the global public policy positions we take on the issues most important to Dropbox, Dropboxers, and our users. You will analyze policy issues critical to our business, drive the creation and refinement of strategic policy positions, prioritize policy interests against business objectives, work with our Government Affairs teams to advance our interests with legislators and regulators around the world, and work with our Social Impact team to analyze the human rights policy issues that are central to our philanthropic giving. You will represent Dropbox in a myriad of settings. You will build advocacy coalitions with our industry partners and civil society. The strength of your relationships with these groups and your unparalleled policy smarts will enable you to effectively promote Dropbox’s policy interests. To top it all off, you will be experienced at managing crises and rapid change.
This role will report to our Vice President of Global Public Policy, Government Affairs & Social Impact and will be based in Washington, DC, with travel to our San Francisco headquarters and around the world as needed.
- Develop Dropbox’s positions on technology and human rights policy issues globally, drive cross-functional consensus around these positions, and craft policy position documents, talking points, and other materials for internal and external communication
- Partner with industry leaders, trade associations, civil society organizations, think tanks, and other external constituents to build support for our policy positions
- Work closely with our Government Affairs teams in the United States and EMEA to help them advocate our policy positions in executive, regulatory, and legislative settings
- Lead any necessary advocacy efforts with governments in other areas of the world where we currently do not have Government Affairs teams
- Work closely with our Social Impact team to provide strategic advice and support on human rights policy issues
- Create and execute compelling communication strategies around our policy priorities and partner with Dropbox’s communications team in media and public relations efforts
- Monitor and analyze policy issues and developments of importance to Dropbox and provide strategic advice to senior company executives on these matters
- Partner with product and business teams across Dropbox’s global offices to understand and counsel on the policy implications of strategic decisions
- Build and lead a public policy team that exemplifies Dropbox values
- Passionate and knowledgeable about technology policy
- Passionate about advancing human rights around the world, prior experience working on human rights issues desired but not required
- Experience working with government officials, industry partners, and civil society organizations around the world, with experience in international settings strongly preferred
- Skilled at advocating complex policy positions before a wide variety of audiences, persuasively and diplomatically
- Adept at building relationships at the individual level and coalitions at the organization level
- Sweats the details of complicated and nuanced issues, from a policy, business, and relationships perspective
- Guided by a personal integrity that reflects Dropbox’s core values and commitment to our users’ trust
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a fast paced team environment
- Experienced at project and team management, with a desire to build a team in a hypergrowth environment
- 10+ years experience in policy settings, prior policy experience with a global technology company or trade association preferred
- Distinguished academic record with an advanced degree in a relevant field, law degree preferred
Job Posted: February 15, 2017