Head, US Corporate Affairs, US Corporate Communications
Be empowered to disrupt and innovate a new future.
Have the freedom to change how things are done. Powered by our spirit of curiosity, at AstraZeneca, we are constantly reimagining and reframing what the future looks like. Here, each of us is empowered to innovate and take smart risks that will impact our course.
The Head of US Corporate Affairs, US Corporate Communications is responsible for the development of AZ’s US external and internal communications strategy. The successful candidate will be an inspirational manager, a trusted counselor, and a forward-thinking leader.
Externally, this role will develop and ensure the pull through of communications strategies that promote, improve, and project AstraZeneca’s vision, brand, and reputation to external stakeholders in the US by leading the team’s media relations, digital and US corporate social media, and executive communication activities. External stakeholders will include US premier media, with subjects across corporate news flow, brand milestones, cross-industry topics, and US government and policy matters.
Internally, this role will deliver a coordinated and comprehensive employee communications program to drive leadership engagement, build employee understanding and belief in our strategy, and deliver purposeful employee communications and engagements. Internal audiences will include our BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit (BBU), the US BBU market and AZ’s Wilmington, Delaware site, as well as all US-based employees as appropriate.
Additionally, this role will ensure delivery of global internal and external communications strategies and campaigns and will collaborate closely across the enterprise (including Regulatory, Compliance, Medical Affairs, Digital and Investor Relations) to ensure a coordinated and compliant approach to external stakeholder engagement.
As a member of the US Corporate Affairs Leadership Team, and Global Media Relations and Internal Communications Network teams, this role will serve as a key leader, counselor, and business advisor. This executive will also provide leadership to a team of corporate affairs professionals who are responsible for multifaceted internal and external activities.
- Be an active member of the US Corporate Affairs Leadership Team delivering strategic advice and counsel across the US CA team and across the broader AstraZeneca enterprise as needed.
- Lead and manage executive communications for the EVP of BBU and US BBU. Serve as a counselor, mentor and advisor to the EVP of BBU and US BBU with regard to US internal and external communications, messaging and engagements.
- Support and coach CEO and the EVP of the Oncology Business Unit when engaging US premier media.
- Initiate, cultivate and maintain relationships with media and high-level influencers to protect, nurture and build the reputation of the business.
- Anticipate and lead US media environment and evolving perceptions. Coordinate media approach and responses in close collaboration with the global media relations team.
- Develop an internal US communications strategy that advises, engages, and motivates employees by ensuring that they understand the business strategy, the driven environment, and the importance of their individual contributions.
- Coach, lead and mentor a team of communications professionals, including talent management and succession planning as well as day-to-day skills development and training.
- Evolve and maintain US specific crisis management plans and procedures, and run an infrastructure to rapidly take US action as required, in ongoing alignment with the global crisis team.
- Stay abreast of cross-industry and marketplace opportunities and challenges.
- Provide executives with a timely assessment of constituent issues and public sentiment along with their bearing on internal and external communications efforts.
- Always demonstrate enterprise leadership and role model value-aligned behavior.
Capabilities and Experience:
- Significant elite media relations experience and public affairs background, with demonstrated results within a leading company, agency, government or NGO.
- A validated corporate communications executive – technically excellent on all aspects of the communications mix, highly networked with all stakeholders and international key media.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the pharmaceutical industry is required.
- Proven track record to lead corporate reputation, issues and crisis management for a sophisticated enterprise with multiple stakeholders.
- Proven ability to serve as an engaged, credible member of a hard-working leadership team, with a successful record of providing effective advice, counsel, and coaching to senior leaders.
- Proven ability to master complex regulatory and policy issues, and to translate them into clear and concise messaging.
- Track record of working successfully within a highly matrixed and interdependent global and US environment, coordinating regional and enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Knowledge of the financial, regulatory and political environments in the U.S.
- Acute political sensitivity and acumen – able to read the internal and external environment and proactively steer decision making accordingly, acting as an ambassador and spokesperson of the company
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree a plus.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Deep expertise in media relations and corporate communications is required.
- Track record of leading communications teams to deliver tangible results in support of business priorities.
- A recognized specialist in employee, digital and leader communications, campaigns, business partnering, and change communication.
- Strong executive presence and acumen advising C-suite and board-level leaders.
- Experience fostering different stakeholder relationships at all levels.
- Management of sophisticated issues/crises with international dimensions.
- Extensive understanding of the AZ business and its operating environment.
Join an ambitious company that’s on a mission to do more and be more.
Job posted: 2021-03-21