Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Head of Washington Office – Federal Affairs Liaison
Under minimal supervision, works with Global Legal Services (“GLS”) attorneys and key business and corporate function associates to analyze current and proposed state, model and federal insurance reinsurance laws and regulations as well as trade laws and positions related to financial service products. Serve as liaison to retained federal lobbyists in all regulatory and trade matters that impact RGA’s business. Assist in further developing positions with Washington D.C. – based trade insurance and reinsurance associations. Proactively serve clients and others with a responsive, service-oriented attitude and strong work ethic.
- Collaborate and communicate with members of the GLS team and business and corporate function clients to provide analysis and regulatory strategy related to state, model and federal legislative and regulatory proposals related to RGA’s business.
- Serve as liaison to retained federal lobbyist in all regulatory matters, exclusive of tax matters.
- Assist in the promotion, operation and reporting of RGA’s federal political action committee.
- Prepare and maintain current law and regulation summaries on topics and issues important to the Company.
- Provide updates to management, and key associates as to legislative and regulatory issues important to RGA’s business.
- Provide experienced level of timely, high-quality representation of RGA to members of Congress, their staffs and those working in US federal agencies.
- Assist, as assigned, in the preparation of presentations related to regulatory and legislative issues important to RGA and its clients for both internal and external use.
- Apply substantial knowledge and experience to identify legislative and regulatory issues while advocating for legislative and regulation to mitigate risk to the enterprise while achieving Company goals and objectives.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Other projects as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited university or college
• 5 to 10 years’ experience as a lobbyist or government relations professional with a major corporation, lobbying firm and/or staffer on Capitol Hill or in the office of a Member of Congress, federal government agency and/or a U.S. state insurance department
• Familiarity with financial services issues
• Business, finance or accounting degree or experience; working knowledge of concepts, terminology, and practices
• Bachelor’s degree in business or political science from accredited university or college
• Experience in a global business enterprise with operations on various continents with differing legal systems and cultures
• Experience with insurance and reinsurance products, services, and regulation
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experienced, senior-level knowledge of U.S. government and legislative processes
• Experienced ability to identify and appreciate regulatory or legislative issues
• Experienced skills in translating business needs and problems into viable and accepted solutions
• Excellent client service and interpersonal skills, with continual focus and dedication to high level of client service
• Excellent skills with respect to drafting, review, proofreading, negotiation, persuasion, and oral and written communication
• Demonstrated ability to clearly present appropriate business terminology and concepts
• Highly organized and results oriented with strong attention to detail
• Seasoned time management skills and commitment to meet deadlines
• Ability to set goals, multitask and prioritize workload to deliver results on a timely basis
• Ability to be flexible when needed, take initiative, and demonstrate accountability
• Ability to interact and work collaboratively and constructively with people at various levels within and outside the organization
• Ability to work well within a team environment and participate in department/team projects
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Committed to acquiring new skills and knowledge of changing technologies and practices
• Proficient knowledge of Word applications with an ability to develop and maintain document automation templates, acquire new skills, and knowledge of changing technologies
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting, and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients’ prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
State of Colorado: This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $138K – $198K per year. Base pay varies depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and market location. In addition, RGA compensation includes an annual bonus plan that includes all roles and maintains a full range of competitive health and life insurance, retirement, and other employee benefits.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-25