Health Communication Specialist
Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat’s research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a Communication Specialist to join our dynamic, award-winning health communication team. We are seeking a professional with experience in strategic communications, public health and/or social marketing campaigns. The successful candidate should have an understanding of content creation, partnership engagement, social media strategy, media relations, and communications research. This position is contingent on the award of the contract.
• Support account teams in the development and implementation of strategic communication and partner engagement plans.
• Plan and implement outreach and education programs and events.
• Conduct research, identify, and engage partners (individuals, organizations, and state/local health departments) to support public health and/or education campaigns and health and/or education marketing initiatives.
• Draft accurate, compelling, audience appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging public health topics, including chronic and infectious diseases, reproductive health, immunization, addiction, and education.
• Work with multimedia designers to create a range of print and electronic products, including brochures, infographics, reports, media materials, and videos.
• Support development and coordination of training and technical assistance to partners.
• Maintain client relationships, deliver strategic counsel, and proactively identify and propose solutions for project challenges.
• Assist with marketing and business development initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in public health, communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field.
• A minimum of 8 years of experience providing communications, social media, media outreach, and/or partnership engagement support for public health/healthcare and/or communications programs and campaigns.
• Experience implementing social media strategies on current and emerging social platforms.
• Experience in successfully targeting diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups and working with public health and/or education clients is highly preferred.
• Communications or PR agency experience.
• Experience with multicultural marketing and communications.
• Experience supporting federal public health and/or education clients.
Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills are essential.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-17