Health Communication Specialist
Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat’s research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a Communication Specialist to join our dynamic, award-winning health communication team. We are looking for a professional with experience in strategic communications, public health and/or social marketing campaigns. The successful candidate should have an understanding of partnership development, social media strategy, and media relations. Experience in successfully targeting diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups and working with public health and/or education clients is highly preferred. Applications should include links to published work.
• Support account teams in the development and implementation of strategic communication and partner engagement plans.
• Plan and implement outreach and education programs and events.
• Conduct research, identify, and engage partners (individuals and organizations) to support public health and/or education campaigns and health and/or education marketing initiatives.
• Draft accurate, compelling, audience appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging public health topics, including chronic and infectious diseases, reproductive health, immunization, addiction, and education.
• Support development and coordination of training and technical assistance to grantees and partners.
• Maintain client relationships, deliver strategic counsel, and proactively identify and propose solutions for project challenges.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in public health, communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or related field is required.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience providing communications, digital media, public relations, media outreach, and/or partnership engagement support for public health and/or education communications programs and campaigns.
• Experience in successfully targeting diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups and working with public health and/or education clients is highly preferred.
• Communications agency experience.
• Experience supporting federal public health and/or education clients.
Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills are essential. You must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for the position, based on the specific position which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-20